One day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
of hard hitting by a Pilated Woodpecker did this much damage. The tree will have to be taken down soon or it will come down on its own. The holes are more than half deep.

Attachments

• chips.JPG
    chips.JPG
    587.2 KB · Views: 268
  • holes.JPG
    holes.JPG
    517.6 KB · Views: 224
that is crazy!!.are they looking for grubs in the wood or something?
Yep. I like to leave those standing if they aren't a threat; They're a food source for the woodpeckers.
We were walking the other day and I saw a standing dead broken off about half way up, no bark and a few holes. I had a hatchet so I figured I would check it out to see how far gone it was. I chopped the trunk, and a Barred Owl flew out of the top! They nest early...might be a crop of babies in there...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Wow! :eek: That's some power-pecker!

are they loud?

We have Cockatoos in our area from time to time and they can strip trees and have a habit of destroying anything made of wood on your house too....and the noise they make in large groups can be deafening!...this loud screeching noise...lovely bird, but not the sort of wild life you want to encourage...

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 171
I was on the road Monday to go see a new log puller, which I bought, on the drive I spotted the biggest wood pecker ive ever seen. The wife managed to get an awesome pic so I figured I'd share it. That is insane how much of a mess he made, but what an amazing specimen!
The pecker

410C49A9-CF16-485F-AE38-5CAAE31EE1FF-10967-000005E384129683.jpg

The new log puller

C003A079-4650-4699-9FBE-E10C5A9DD5D4-10967-000005E39B0EBABF.jpg

Might be looking to make a nest & show off for the ladies. Tis Spring ;)

Might be looking to make a nest & show off for the ladies. Tis Spring ;)
I show off in the spring by adding to my "nest-egg" of split wood. ==c

Yep, dats a big pecker for sure. I get them at the river. Pretty amazing to watch them shred a hole into the side of a tree. It doesn't take them long.

And nice looking hay burner.;)

Pileated woodpeckers attract mates in the spring by competing to see which can make the loudest pecking noise. They prefer huge, hollow trees that reverberate. They also make a really interesting jungle-type call (sort of a hoo-hoo, ha-ha, he-he). It's unmistakeable.

Pileated woodpeckers rule!

I got a real good close up shot f one and was able to see the size of their beak - it's 1/4-3/8" wide and shaped just like a little chisel. Will try to find the pic and post when I get home.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I wonder what the Alaskans do when spring hits ?
I think they keep burning wood until the middle of July, then stop just long enough to run a brush down the stack. :oops:

Reactions: TimJ
Seems that shag bark hickory may be to hard for the pecker! :cool:

Reactions: smokinj
I get Pileated Woodpeckers every spring. I see 3 and 4 at a time. At the same time this tree was being worked on, another was working on a shagbark right near the house. I have another 100 feet from the house that is damaged up pretty good. I think they can hear an ant from a mile away and they know exactly where to get a good lunch. They probably always hit the diseased trees only, and this one was for sure. The pecker just speeded up the process.

Wait until they start in on your siding , if wood. they can destroy quite an area in a short time. By the way around here they are a protected species ( that's what the govt. says any way, but then so are tax collectors >>)

Woody, I wonder what the Alaskans do when spring hits ?

I think they keep burning wood until the middle of July, then stop just long enough to run a brush down the stack. :oops:

We don't get much Spring. Goes from Winter to Summer in 5 days :)
That's the week the 10 million ducks & geese come back.
Tastes like duck ;)

Thanks for the reminder to brush the stack, :)

Wait until they start in on your siding , if wood. they can destroy quite an area in a short time. By the way around here they are a protected species ( that's what the govt. says any way, but then so are tax collectors >>)
I had one last year pecking on my cedar siding, its stained, not sure what he thought he'd find in there, theres no bugs, made a hell of a racket, my wife came out to the garage and yelled at me to stop the racket, she thought it was me pounding on something with a hammer.

That's the week the 10 million....geese come back.
And poop all over the course, like they do here? ;lol They get downright ornery if they are nesting and you get too close. _g

I think the spring pecking is to make noise and attract a mate, not just for bugs, so it'd make sense that they'd peck on siding occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.