One handed operation for Ryobi splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cammer

Jan 13, 2007
The two-handed operation of my Ryobi splitter is driving me nuts. I understand the safety reasoning behind it but I need to do something else.

Although the specs state that it willl split up to a 10" log, it is capable of far more than that provided that larger logs are "nibbled" away at. Problem is, sometimes these larger rounds must be held on the splitter by hand. So if one hand is on the log it only leaves one to operate the controls.

I know that at least one member has installed a toggle switch for the motor power and I wil do this if necessary. What I would rather do, however, is install a foot switch that is "on" when stepped on and "off" when released. A local store has just such a foot switch but it is only rated for 15amps.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the machine draw more than 15amps continuously? If it only draws more than that on start-up the pedal may be able to handle it.

2. If the machine does indeed draw more than the pedal is rated for, will the machine be damaged or only the pedal? The pedal is $15 so I would be willing to experiment at the expense of a pedal. If there is a possiblilty that the splitter motor will be damaged I will take the safe route and install the 20A rated toggle switch.

Thanks for any input.

Are you just talking about replacing one of the existing switches with a foot switch? Are the existing switches actually directly switching the mains? Seems more likely they would be controlling a relay of some sort, which would require minimal current handling.

I really don't get this idiotic 2-handed setup for these electric splitters. Gas-powered splitters don't typically have that. It seems both awkward and insulting.

To those of us who split by hand, all hydraulic splitters seem like a "one-handed operation."

Mr DR Splitter is electric, and operates with one hand. Once you turn it on, the electric motor runs, and you just operate the lever as needed. As for your Ryobi, I would simply see if the switch on it operates a relay, as noted above. If it does, just get a small foot switch. You could check the current across the switch, if you wanted to, just to know what's going through it under load.

-- Mike

From the wiring I'd say that the existing switch is a dual-pole, full current set-up.

If the existing switch would turn the motor on then the ram could be advanced and retracted with the valve there would be no problem. As it is the switch must be released (stopping the motor) in addition to the valve handle being released to allow the ram to return to home position. Stupid set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.