one inch bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
Like many things in life, I'm a day late, a dime short, and an inch too low on my stove.

Whats anyone doing to get an extra inch elevation in a pretty way?

How about a layer of drurock, thinset and then some tile. It should get you pretty close to an inch.

Matt

Some cut blue stone? I assume you have some in your area since you are from Pa too.

pen

How about a layer of drurock, thinset and then some tile. It should get you pretty close to an inch.

I'm not building another hearth pad on top of my hearth pad. ;)

pen said:
Some cut blue stone? I assume you have some in your area since you are from Pa too.

But the hearth is a wonderful sand color! Good idea, garden section of home depot here I come!

EDIT: Pictures worth 1000 words. Here's the work in progress...
dscn3886.jpg

Is that an adjustable elbow? If so, set it so that the exit angle is more like 105 deg. instead of 90 deg. and connect the stove. It will benefit from the nice upward pitch toward the thimble. BTW, the hearth appears way undersized, especially on the chair side. That stove is going to radiate serious heat. At least move the chair 36" away from the stove. Also, are there metal studs behind that cement board? If not, the clearances look close on the right side too.

No it's not an adjustable elbow, it's double wall simpson stuff. Just checking my catalog, the don't have adjustable elbows with double wall stovepipe. The hearth is the minimum (six inches with the stove in the right place, the stove is slightly to the left of the pipe in this picture). The chair is 16 inches from the stove, yeah it does have to come over once my wife figures out what to do with the nick nacks on the other side of it. I had told her we have extra cementboard laying around, we could put it on the sofa. She didn't seem impressed with the idea.

Thankfully it's easier to bring the stove up than to bring the chimney down. I really considered buying their adjustable pipe but the minimum there is two inches and if you've seen it, it requires cutting if it's going onto anything but a straight pipe.

tiber said:
Like many things in life, I'm a day late, a dime short, and an inch too low on my stove.

Whats anyone doing to get an extra inch elevation in a pretty way?

I had the same issue. However, I was closer to 2" short. At one point, I purchased some Rutland castable refractory material to replace a piece on my old dutchwest stove. I still had that laying around so I used a roll of duct tape--sealed off one end, lubed it up with some grease, mixed up the refractory material and poured it inside the duct tape roll to my desired height. After it set up, I popped it out, painted it black and repeated the process 3 other times--once for each leg of the stove. Yeah, I built hockey pucks. Not a good pic, but you get the idea

Attachments

• aug 029.jpg
    aug 029.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 157
That is excellent. I just got back from home despot and they didn't really have anything to fit the bill. I may actually do that since it's hardly noticeable.

I too need a rail around my stove to keep my kid from touching it - and that's a nice rail. Where did you get it?

Damn you. This'll be the third trip today. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.