One man's stacks, a journey, and a perpetual work in progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg all together, about 6 cords of mix of hardwood and softwoods. I will have more pine than ever before due some trees coming down. I would love to have the space for it all to be single row, but only have the space shown to keep it all. I figure I could add in another few cords to fill up the area to get ahead a bit.
To make this space work, I focus on softwoods and hardwoods that I know can dry inside one yr. I take dense hardwood, like oak, hickory, sparingly due, to limited space for wood to be sitting for 2+ years. My brother had some perfectly sized red oak trees snap in a microburst, so I " found" space for those easy pickings recently. For most of my wood, including the sparse oak/hickory, I split on the small to medium side to speed up the drying process. For the pine stacks, I have found top covering to be needed for good dryingwith the pine. With my double stacks, I leave about 6 inches or so, for some air flow. Although not the ideal 3 year plan for sure, this works well for me and the wood is dry enough for good burning and minimal smoke and creosote . Each year, I learn more as I go, and the more I learn the better able I use my insert to produce good heat. Thanks for reading and pardon the lack of tidiness in my stacks, as said, it's a workin progress. Thanks

Last edited:
Nice work, looks great. There is no real science to it just do what you have been doing and it comes together.

Was the other thread of the same title intentional ... slightly different text but same pics?

Was the other thread of the same title intentional ... slightly different text but same pics?

I can be deleted. I tried to edit it a bit, but then messed that up too. Thanks

Nice work. The three year plan is a great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.