One match..., one stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Kelly

Feeling the Heat
To those who wonder about length of burns...

I've had my PE Summit installed for a little over a month now, and I am happy to report... after the initial "test" burn (after which I let it go out), I've only had to use ONE MATCH, and it's been cranking ever since!

Albeit the Summit is a fairly large box, at around 3 cu/ft, but I don't always load it as full as I could. Regardless, there's usually enough embers to get the job done when I return after being away from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day, and between 10PM and 6 a.m. overnight. With a little patience, a couple of small splits, and between 5-15 minutes of time, eventually... poof! It fires up as expected! It's really great to watch it combust after sitting there for a spell.

My dad's been running a small zero-clearance fireplace for 15 years and swears he can't get coals that would fire up in the morning. I'm wondering... could he be convinced to put more wood in overnight?? I'll see him this week. Let's find out!

Burn, Baby, Burn!

Yeah, I haven't needed a new match for the IR for quite some time now. And I have the wood pile shrinkage to prove it. :lol:

I haven't had a match since Superman died... :p :shut: (sorry, haven't heard that old joke in ages.)

We're totally in shoulder season burning here. But the other drizzly morning I lit a fire up, stoked it around 7am, then let it burn out. That evening, I was bringing in wood and had a couple more splits than would fit in the holder so I put them in the stove N/S on some barely glowing embers, figuring I'd get to the fire after dinner. 15 minutes later I saw flames in the firebox. The splits (1 fir, 1 alder) were dancing with flames, no kindling added. Gotta like that.

I think the last time we used a match here was sometime in November when we had an unusually warm spell. Normally we use our last match sometime in October and don't expect to use another one until mid-March or April.

Only 1 match here as well, I think it was back in November sometime.

Same here. Last cold start was in November. The Oslo is a great stove for holding useful coals, though. After an overnight burn and no wood additions in the morning or throughout the day (on warmer days), I can still rake the ashes a bit the next evening and get enough coals to toss some kindling and small splits on without any newspaper or matches. It doesn't even take much raking. Haven't done that since the early fall shoulder season, but we'll probably finish out the spring that way if we have any wood left by the time it warms up.

I think I only had to use an external fire source to get it going about 3 times since November.
1x for the initial light, and 2x used for a good clean of the glass and firebox.
Though sometimes I have to put a piece of cardboard in there to get the fire going.

Mr. Kelly said:
To those who wonder about length of burns...

I've had my PE Summit installed for a little over a month now, and I am happy to report... after the initial "test" burn (after which I let it go out), I've only had to use ONE MATCH, and it's been cranking ever since!

Albeit the Summit is a fairly large box, at around 3 cu/ft, but I don't always load it as full as I could. Regardless, there's usually enough embers to get the job done when I return after being away from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day, and between 10PM and 6 a.m. overnight. With a little patience, a couple of small splits, and between 5-15 minutes of time, eventually... poof! It fires up as expected! It's really great to watch it combust after sitting there for a spell.

My dad's been running a small zero-clearance fireplace for 15 years and swears he can't get coals that would fire up in the morning. I'm wondering... could he be convinced to put more wood in overnight?? I'll see him this week. Let's find out!

Burn, Baby, Burn!

Welcome to the "you're awesome 'cause you owna PE" club... well done my man, reap the benefits!!!

summit said:
Welcome to the "you're awesome 'cause you owna PE" club...

Now get a couple of baffles to stick on the shelf and some extra rope gasket and you will be good to go. :coolsmirk:

Match! What's a match? :coolsmile:

With my old fisher stove, I was lighting a new fire daily as it would go out while I was at work. Don't have that problem now. Haven't needed to go for a match since the beginning of Nov sometime.

I can't believe how much time I used to spend splitting kindling once a week. Not anymore and i don't miss it a bit.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.