One More Flue Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
My stove sits just outside my fireplace and the SS liner rear vents about 18" then straight up the masonry chimney. So, after sweeping the flue do I have to disconnect the stove, move it, and then clean out the creosote I've dislodged? (as u can tell, this will be my first time at this). The thought of moving that heavy stove makes me think there is an easier way. I've searched some old threads but don't see what I need - even though creosote cleaning is a hot topic. :cheese:

You'll definitely want to detach the back elbow and clean it out. Most of the stuff that was knocked down will be sitting there.

So, how does one go about moving a heavy stove? any tips - perhaps that's an unwise choice of words! Guess this mainly affects those of us who vent into a fireplace.

No problem, at 440 lbs, it's a lightweight :). Just lift up slightly on one side and slide it forward about an inch or two. Then go to the other side and do the same. As soon as you can reach the flue collar, unscrew it. If it's on a rough surface, put some sheetmetal under the front feet to help it slide better. Seriously, the T6 slides on the hearth tiles pretty easily. I can do it myself and I am no hulk.

That's one advantage of installing a plate onto your blockoff plate. Make the hole in the block off plate larger than the liner. Then make a plate that will cover the hole in the block off plate cut the 6" dia. hole in the plate for your liner. Screw the plate to the block off plate then you cna seal with RTV. Then when it' stime to clean just unscrew and pry the plate off this will give you enough wiggle room to move the tee without touching the stove. This method of course has a couple requirements, 1. a top supported liner (most are) and 2. the ability to reach behind the stove into the firebox.

To move the stove go to a place like Wal-Mart or a dollar store and get some "furniture sliders". Pick it up just enough to put them under each leg, about an inch, and then slide the sucker out. It worked with my 455 pound 30-NC for installation. Cost me a buck a set.

You guys are great. Didn't think it could be that easy. Now, if you only lived a little closer :lol:

Can you remove the baffle and get a vacuum cleaner hose in there? Maybe vacuum it out of the elbow area and not have to move the stove?
Just a thought.

hEY HOG...i'M KINDA BAFFLED BY TH BAFFLE, ALTHOUGH i SEE THAT MANY SAW THEY AREN'T TOO HARD TO REMOVE. i'LL CHECK THAT OUT AS i ALSO HAVE A SURROUND THAT WOULD NEED TO BE REMOVED IF THE STOVE COMES OUT. Oops, sorry about the caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.