One more question about liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmyQT

Jan 27, 2014
Rhode Island
We measured the present (I think clay) liner which measures 6.5 x 10.5. We are definitely going to insulate around so of course have to add another inch to whichever liner gets installed. I've been looking into rectangular liners and found a few measuring 4 x8.5; 5x7.5 or 4.5 x 8. The 4.5 x 8 one seems to be the closest to the 6" required liner. Is that best way to go with the given measurements of present liner? I also was looking at oval liners. Are those better than rectangular? Both the rectangular and oval ones are the FireFlex 316Ti .006. We were also looking at 4" x 8" 316L but because it's going to be two people installing the liner and read that you might need a lift, etc for the 316L we shied away from that. We're definitely open to any comments or suggestions. Thanks so much for all the help and the much needed good advice. This forum is awesome. : )

How in the world are you going to go from rectangular to round to go into the flue collar of the stove?

How in the world are you going to go from rectangular to round to go into the flue collar of the stove?
There's an pipe adapter that goes from rectangular to round.

Always willing to learn. I have seen a boatload of adapters for a rectangular flue outlet in an insert to a round liner but I have never seen the other way around. But I have led a sheltered life.

Reactions: EmmyQT
OK. I just found one. Never mind.

We looked into the pricing of these and there are HUGE differences. The best price is for the 4" x 8" oval chimney liner kit, double ply smooth, 316L. Is it true that these are very hard to work with? And secondly would it work just as good as the 6" round?

Also, could I use my existing top plate and rain cap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into DuraLiner oval pipe. It is preinsulated and made for this type of installation. Pipe OD 4.75" x 7.75". They have a full system including rigid and flex piping, tees, etc..It will cost a bit more but it is a high quality product with a thicker inner liner and the insulation is built into the pipe.
http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=6
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1274
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=66
Awesome, I will check this out. Thanks!

Don't think I have seen how tall is this chimney?

Don't think I have seen how tall is this chimney?
We need to get up on roof to measure better which is on the list of one of the things to do next, but it's roughly 15 to 20 foot.

I understand round is better than oval as far as airflow or draft. But it seems consensus is also insulating is better than non-insulating. So is it better to go with 6 inch round with only insulating top and bottom with Roxul or is it better to go with 4.5 x 8 oval with an insulating kit? The current liner is 6.5 x 10.5 ID so choices are limited short of busting out current liner which we really do not want to consider. This seems to be one of the hardest but most important decisions and before we commit to which way to go, we'd like to hear from people who have done it either way and if they're happy with how it drafts. This is an exterior chimney, and I can tell you from how the fireplace drafted sometimes (and the amount of creosote in the chimney) that the draft could have been better.

I think that insulation is very important for safety and performance so I would recommend a fully insulated oval I know some don't agree with this but it is what I have found and been taught. I would not use a rectangle they are way to expensive and don't really draft that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.