One more reason to go with wood gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdc1160

Hearth Supporter
I love steak. Have eaten steak prepared almost every way. One of my favorite steak places (remain nameless) they swear that the reason
they make their steak taste so good is because they can sear their steak with 1000 F heat from a special homemade steak searer appliance that transfers huge amounts
of high temp with lots of thermal mass.

They showed me this stove. it is run on Nat gas and they have a large cast surface 4 inches thick @ 1200 F.

How good do you think you could make a steak with wood gas sear of 2200F?

This could be a whole new forum room - multipurpose woodburning appliances.

My secondary combustion temps have been 1300-1400 well after the flame. Never thought of putting a steak in there. Bet you could make a 1/4" thick steak black on the outside and rare on the inside in a few seconds.

Maybe I could make a secondary chamber turbulator that doubles as a steak searing contraption.

Don't know what that would do to my efficiency, though....

barnartist said:
be sure to sear it using maple wood then. The steak will be like a circus in your mouth.

Ha - that is funny. Never heard it put that way before. When I think if circus, the first thing that comes to mind is a bunch of clowns running around and the smell of animal poo!

I think my favorite steak would have to be oak or mesquite grilled. No sauce, or other seasonings just the juicy steak and a little salt. Cook over medium fire to get the inside down to a little before the 'just pink' state, then move it close to the fire and sear the outside. Yank it off the fire and let it 'coast' for a few minutes so the inside will cook just a tad more and the juices have a chance to flow back out to the seared portion...YUM!

I'll reserve judgment until I have a chance to try it, but anything cooked on cast iron - regardless of thickness or temperature - just sounds like a fried steak. And that doesn't sound too good to me.

think my favorite steak would have to be oak or mesquite grilled. No sauce, or other seasonings just the juicy steak and a little salt. Cook over medium fire to get the inside down to a little before the ‘just pink’ state, then move it close to the fire and sear the outside. Yank it off the fire and let it ‘coast’ for a few minutes so the inside will cook just a tad more and the juices have a chance to flow back out to the seared portion...YUM!

be sure to sear it using maple wood then

They explained the searing process is used to seal(technically cauterize) the steak's juices in the steak. I don't think it is a good way to add flavor. Because long periods of exposure result in burnt meat.

Many people sear steak, but few have the appliances to get it done above 1000F, which they claim is required.
@ home most people try to do it with a 500 degree frying pan.

Ruth's Chris uses infrared broilers which run at 1800 degrees. I think Peter Luger also uses infrareds. It's damn expensive but having a prime grade steak at a steakhouse is worth the money every now and then. The high heat searing isn't so much for sealing in juices as for the Maillard reaction and carmelization which brings out flavor and puts a crust on the meat. Of course, given the cost of an infrared broiler, (discount, lists at over $25K), vs a gasifier, it's definitely another reason to get the boiler.

I will wait for you to post pictures of the perfect wood gas sear

Status
Not open for further replies.