One more season before complete rebuild and baffle replacement......Can she make it...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I'm Cheap. GOOD GOD am I cheap!!. today I recemented the gasketing in my cat baffle so that I could get thru another season before buying the proper replacement for my warped Catalyst assembly. From the plate on the back of the stove this looks to be season #16 for this stove. Earlier this week I discovered that the smoke wasn't being properly drawn thru the cats. I blew them out with compressed air and re installed the gasketing that I had used to seal the chamber up from leaks. seems to be working so I'm crossing my fingers. I think I have found a metal shop that will be able to make me an offset box out of plate steel. That saves me the trouble of doing it myself and I think this will be much more likely to fit and work properly. Just thought I'd share since I know there are others out there who are strugling with their vintage stoves.

I hope this is not season #16 for the cat ?
I'm sure it will work one way or the other, just keep in mind your stove will be more efficient .... run better ..... and burn less wood with a properly working cat.
If the cat is not working as it should you would be better off in the long run with time and $$ with a new properly working cat.

A stove is only going to get 40%-50% efficiency burning wood as is and the extra effinency is the burning of smoke and gasses with a cat or secondary burn combustor that bring them up to 65%-82% efficiency.

yes I have the moern "sponge" type of catalysts. Didn't even have to clean them this year. they seem to be working perfectly. Although my wife and duaghter seem to try to engage them way to early and that will probably mean I have to clean them before too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.