One Of My Woodland Pals Accidentally Evicted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Today's target, standing dead black oak.
IMG_5398.jpg

I checked it all over and couldn't see any place that the small critters could be sheltering, otherwise there are plenty more trees that could be cut instead. So down it comes.
IMG_5402.jpg

Cutting it up, and sure enough, a little animal house that I didn't notice when the tree was still standing. He'll have to find another place to live now.
IMG_5407.jpg

That old saw isn't very pretty, but it runs good.
IMG_5405.jpg

It's ready for a mauling.
IMG_5408.jpg

Piece of cake, nothing to it.
IMG_5411.jpg

Took this picture just because I thought it was cool; the way the sunlight was sparkling off the snow and the shadows the trees were casting across it.
IMG_5395.jpg

My main stack for heating my own house is full again, until I need more for the porch. Now I can start refilling the stacks that I sold.
IMG_5418.jpg

Quads,
noticed no one else has responded to this, so thought I would. Those are some really cool pics. I really need to get out and at least buck up some of the logs I've got. We're having a little thaw right now, might be a good time, but I spent the day in the city yesterday, and part of the day today cleaning and sealing up the stove. I'll get out there before too long.
I'd like to get the wood for 2011-12 done so I can get going on 2012-13's. Then I'd really like to start on a shed.
Need to reside the front of the house, finish insulating the shop...........blah, blah, blah.

Livin' the dream quads! Another great set of pics. I always enjoy reading your threads.

Quads, Love the pics - especially the 'diamonds' in the snow!

Shari

PapaDave said:
Quads,
noticed no one else has responded to this, so thought I would. Those are some really cool pics. I really need to get out and at least buck up some of the logs I've got. We're having a little thaw right now, might be a good time, but I spent the day in the city yesterday, and part of the day today cleaning and sealing up the stove. I'll get out there before too long.
I'd like to get the wood for 2011-12 done so I can get going on 2012-13's. Then I'd really like to start on a shed.
Need to reside the front of the house, finish insulating the shop...........blah, blah, blah.
Thanks! I post so many that it's hard to think of a response to everything! I know you're lookin' though, and I enjoy taking them.

It almost thawed a little bit here yesterday. Enough that I can see a bare spot or two in the driveway where it's been plowed. The snow might be settling a little bit in the woods, but it will take a lot warmer temps than mid 30s to make it go away. Maybe this year we'll have an early Spring. Usually by the end of February I'm ready to see the crocuses bloom again!

Quads, I've noticed most of your trees are very small. Why is that. You seem to have a lot of dead small oaks. Is it the density of the woods that keeps them small, or is it some disease?

gzecc said:
Quads, I've noticed most of your trees are very small. Why is that. You seem to have a lot of dead small oaks. Is it the density of the woods that keeps them small, or is it some disease?
It's because there never used to be any trees here. This was all prairie/grassland 100 years ago, or less. As a matter of fact, where I normally cut is on an old stagecoach line called the Pinery Road (the tree I cut in these pictures is in the middle of the several different lanes they made as they moved it over when the ruts would get too deep for the wagon wheels). Then it was jackpine and scrub oak after that. In 2004 a tornado came through and uprooted most of the biggest trees we had, then the loggers came in and cleaned it up. Now the oak wilt is taking it's toll and killing many of them. What you see, is all there is anymore. And hazel brush and raspberries.

Quads, keep on taking your pictures. Love em! Most of us would love to have that ATV and acres to go and cut wood. OK, I'm speaking for myself. Your "Living the Dream", as they say, and I think you know it! Cheers to you.

Nice pics.
Wood looks dry enough to burn. Lots of good wood in that one.
What are the small ever-greens?

Spruce trees here will last a few years after they die from beetles, but birch, 2 years - rotten & falling over.

Almost all of he small evergreens in these pictures are white pine. We also have jackpine, red pine, and a few cedars. Some bigger red pine are in the far background of the first picture, in the plantation. There are a few red pine in the last picture in my yard with that woodstack, particularly one right behind the ATV holding the wood up. One or two little balsam firs behind the woodstack, which I planted and aren't native to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.