One of the most healthiest obsessions ever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I split by hand until age 40. I did 10+ cords in each of those few last years. As much as I enjoyed the silence and peace of splitting by hand, with a 6 lb maul being my primary weapon, I suspect the damage I did to my shoulders may be permanent. Not really worth it, if you have any other hobby that requires shoulder movement... like getting dressed in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm only 32 but decided they same thing ahead of time. After I split I took ibprophin for 3 days before my left elbow would settle down. Figured a splitter would be worth it to my joints over the next 30-40 years. Grabbed the forest king 30 ton at menards black Friday last year for 699 or something I think.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ashful
Wasn't implying you're slowing down at all ==c, your comment just got me thinking and I think I attributed my own concerns to your situation.

I've been wondering if there's any threads or anybody has some good tips/videos showing what they think is a good swinging technique. There's no way a topic like this hasn't been discussed in the wood shed... I've spent some time trying to improve my form based on how my body feels but I've got (hopefully) a lot of swings ahead of me and I realize that a bad form could have me in bad shape in another 20 years.

Reps are what did it for me, lots of broken handles and wasted swings along the way.

Tip of the day-

Let gravity do the work, DROP the head of the maul on the spot on the log you want to hit.

BREAK YOUR WRISTS at the instant it hits to add speed and impact energy.

Takes practice, but this actually involves the shoulders much less and your core much more

... I've spent some time trying to improve my form based on how my body feels but I've got (hopefully) a lot of swings ahead of me and I realize that a bad form could have me in bad shape in another 20 years.

Wait. Are we talking about wood splitting here or golf? Lol.;):p

The actual splitting doesn't bother me, its the continued bending over to pick up splits and pile them in the truck that does me in. I just pump a few advil prior to splitting and take turns splitting and picking.

The actual splitting doesn't bother me, its the continued bending over to pick up splits and pile them in the truck that does me in. I just pump a few advil prior to splitting and take turns splitting and picking.

I have the same issues with picking up as well. I used to lean on painkillers but can only take so much. A friend of mind (body trainer) showed me how to balance out the bending by doing planks afterwards, and some shoulder exercises as well, they work great, I have been off meds since then.

I pulled my lower back doing something unrelated before I started splitting much for wood and have been fighting with that for a while but it's getting better with a few good stretches when I remember to do them.

I don't like using advil or Tylenol before splitting though since if something starts to tweak I'd rather feel it before it gets strong enough to overcome the painkillers.
Spent about 6 hours splitting and stacking one day last weekend though and sure needed them after that one. It was a good day.

I have the same issues with picking up as well. I used to lean on painkillers but can only take so much. A friend of mind (body trainer) showed me how to balance out the bending by doing planks afterwards, and some shoulder exercises as well, they work great, I have been off meds since then.

Could you share/link the shoulder exercises?

Could you share/link the shoulder exercises?

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0215/p667.html

Correction it wasn't a trainer but a physical therapist whom prescribed me with the exercises for slight rotator cuff tear, pix 3, 8, 11, and 12 are the ones I usually do right before planks. I do it with 5 lb weights slowly or tension cords. They work for me and my shoulder no longer hurt.
If your shoulder is bothering you, should probably get it checked out, good luck.

Ever use a hookaroon? Wondering if that would help out much.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What's this bending and picking up between each split? Use a tire or strap, folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a tire or strap
I'd have to agree. I use a bungee with a piece of cheap chain most times. I can leave my wife in the truck bed, split the round, carry the bundle to the tailgate, open it up and she's got some pieces to stack while I go hook up another one. Neither of us really like getting up and down from the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.