one on the right..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loon

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2010
ont canada
Might touch the carport %-P

DSC07720.jpg

after the fun i had with the house, figure its time to clean up around the property...

both these elms are coming down.

loon

That is one pair of ugly looking trees right there.

here are a couple more that will be down before winter...

DSC07724.jpg

DSC07727.jpg

every year there are a number of these dying with Dutch Elm..

met a new neighbour down the road yesterday and he has about 30 on his long laneway that he asked if i would deal with and haul away ;-)

will put up a pic of that later today..

Terry

Sounds like there is a serious splitter workout coming up, followed by lots of complaints about splitting elm.

I'd let them stand for a while yet. The reason is what BeGreen posted.

We always let elm stand until the bark falls off and then cut. It is a bit harder on the chain but they split decent. Splitting before that causes the one doing the splitting to learn some fresh cuss words.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'd let them stand for a while yet. The reason is what BeGreen posted.

We always let elm stand until the bark falls off and then cut. It is a bit harder on the chain but they split decent. Splitting before that causes the one doing the splitting to learn some fresh cuss words.

:)

been cutting mostly elm around here for the last 10 years and i do know what an uncooperative tree they can be ;-) and will probably take your advice on a couple of them.
have lots of dried wood so its not like i have to drop them..

heading down the road right now to check out these other ones the neighbour gave me and will take the camera...

Backwoods Savage said:
We always let elm stand until the bark falls off and then cut. It is a bit harder on the chain but they split decent.

Do they have to be standing for a while, or can you get the same effect by cutting into rounds and stacking on their sides? I have several that won't be long for this world, but I hate to see a dead, bare tree sticking up into the sky on my property. I'd just as soon get a jump on them before they start to get really ugly.

here are a few of the elm the fella would like gone.

DSC07735.jpg

turned the camera left and i live across the road from my buddy's farm.

DSC07737.jpg

pretty hard to say no to easy wood :)

Bringem Down! Timber.........

Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:
We always let elm stand until the bark falls off and then cut. It is a bit harder on the chain but they split decent.

Do they have to be standing for a while, or can you get the same effect by cutting into rounds and stacking on their sides? I have several that won't be long for this world, but I hate to see a dead, bare tree sticking up into the sky on my property. I'd just as soon get a jump on them before they start to get really ugly.

i've split them dead in the middle of winter and doesnt seem to help out at all!!

same as splitting wet IMA... ALWAYS full stroke on the splitter ;-P

terry

I have cut them up and waited till they are good and dry and then they spilt better, cutting them short helps but sometimes they still are a little hard to split, I am using a fiskars though.

I have a special affinity for elm . . . they're what got me through my first year of burning thanks to a lot of standing dead elm that had been dead for years.

Even now I'm still burning and splitting dead elm on my property . . . generally I wait a year or two after they've lost their leaves and split them up . . . which isn't so bad . . . of course having a hydraulic woodsplitter makes the task a bit easier.

Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I've only tried that one time and the stuff still seemed to split hard, but by waiting until the bark has fallen we never seem to get much if any of the stringy stuff when we split. It splits more like maple or oak then. It also seems to burn better, I think because of not having the stringy splits.

Backwoods Savage said:
Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I've only tried that one time and the stuff still seemed to split hard, but by waiting until the bark has fallen we never seem to get much if any of the stringy stuff when we split. It splits more like maple or oak then. It also seems to burn better, I think because of not having the stringy splits.
With a hand splitter it still splits like crap for me when there is not a shred of bark left on the tree, its got to the point I dont mess with elm unless it is on my place and then I do not like it, wish I could have got that 429 dollar splitter from HD, elm and old age are the only reason I would get a hyd. splitter.

That is strange because many times I can simply split it with an axe. That is, the smaller stuff I can split with an axe. Although I no longer do this with the axe but use the hydraulics, it splits very cleanly and easy. Cut that tree green though and it is a different story.

loon we just harvest on our own lot and unfortunately Elm is the hardest of our hardwoods. It can be very difficult to split and even with a gas splitter you have to pay attention to what your doing. My sole satisfaction with all the hassle of Elm is knowing that it's the hardest wood on our lot...and that's just sad.

Don't forget to look up when you cut 'em down.

Those are odd looking elms, or at least they would be here. The ones in the field look like Elms here, but the dead and partially dead trees in the woods look odd to me. They do seem big - you got a lotta wood there.

the government was paying farmers years ago to go and knock down Elms that were stricken with Dutch Elm as the large limbs were dropping and hurting/killing people? the dreaded widow makers ;-) but the problem was they had farming to deal with and the price of fuel back then made it not very appealing to bother with burning wood..

the farmer across the road says there are 2 kinds of Elm here..the large ones being American and the smaller version being Rock

http://www.elmcare.com/about_elms/species/elm_species.htm

Terry

loon said:
here are a few of the elm the fella would like gone.

DSC07735.jpg

just came in the house for a break and here is what we have done so far...

DSC08261.jpg

there are 30 large/small tree's and pretty much all of them can burn this year ;-P

Terry

Cool Loon

I've always like elm. Sure is nice that it is so clean around the trees and have a good place to drop them. What a pain when I was cutting for my cousin last weekend. Had to make a trail to each tree all of them were in a ditch. Then there were a lot behind cattle fencing that I could not get to because of it.

Billy

here is how i ended up cowboy ;-) will be going down to another farm on our thanksgiving weekend for a bunch more :)

DSC08328.jpg

loon

Cool Loon

Looks like you are all setup!!!

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.