One Saw Or Two

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If your felling and limbing before the bucking it can get you outa a BIND so to speak. ;-)
Also if your travelling a good distance to remove your wood from the bush and end up having mechanical problems with your saw it would suck to have to come home short with a half load of wood. Even having your second saw as a cheapo one, it will help get things done.

Attachments

• wood blenders.jpg
    wood blenders.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 607
One great and your favorite saw.

One backup saw from an auction, barn sale, family, etc.

Ditto what North of 60 said. The extra $150 or so in a cheap saw will save you SO many headaches. I have a Stihl 310 and a cheap Poulan/Craftsman 18".....They ALWAYS go together when I am cutting and the cheapo have saved my Stihl many times when I pinch it or do something else stupid.......the extra saw and a decent pry bar.....You won't be sorry..................Good Luck..................Paul

Somethings can be well maintained but can also be worn out. The 028 in my pict above has been with me (NEW) since I was sixteen. Iam 40 something now. The Husky is older then that. I paid $200 for that @ a garage sale a few years ago. I did a compression test on that one before I bought it and pulled the muffler and plug to peak inside and check for scoring. Both saws have been excellent. If you can at least run the 028 with a good chain and run her through some wood to load it up and see how she goes, it wouldn't hurt. Id take one of the older used pro saws over a new box store saw any day. Good luck with your results.
N of 60

north of 60 said:
If your felling and limbing before the bucking it can get you outa a BIND so to speak. ;-)
Also if your travelling a good distance to remove your wood from the bush and end up having mechanical problems with your saw it would suck to have to come home short with a half load of wood.

...or leaving a dangerous 1/2 cut stander to come down unexpectedly.

having only one saw is like having a car with no spare tire.

3. You need one to cut wood. One to get the first one unstuck, and one to loan out.

Caz said:
3. You need one to cut wood. One to get the first one unstuck, and one to loan out.
Well... that explains why I've gotten by just fine my whole life with just one saw.

1. I've never ever needed another saw to unstick mine but I have come to the rescue with my saw when coworkers stuck their saws. I won't lie and say I've never stuck my saw but I've always been able to get it unstuck using an axe, push poles, and wedges.

2. I would never lend out my saw. That said, when I was young, before I bought my own saw, I often borrowed one of my father's saws. The poor man was never mechanically inclined and couldn't even sharpen the chain, let alone maintain his saws so I would forever be swapping them around and fixing one of them.

LLigetfa said:
Caz said:
Well... that explains why I've gotten by just fine my whole life with just one saw.

1. I've never ever needed another saw to unstick mine but I have come to the rescue with my saw when coworkers stuck their saws. I won't lie and say I've never stuck my saw but I've always been able to get it unstuck using an axe, push poles, and wedges.

2. I would never lend out my saw. That said, when I was young, before I bought my own saw, I often borrowed one of my father's saws. The poor man was never mechanically inclined and couldn't even sharpen the chain, let alone maintain his saws so I would forever be swapping them around and fixing one of them.

You never lend, but you'll borrow :)

Caz said:
You never lend, but you'll borrow :)
True, but I always returned it in better working order than when I got it. It wasn't as much borrowing as it was extensive field service testing. %-P

jnthuskers said:
Do I, really need two saws or is there one that will do the job.

I occasionally need more saw than my 290 - twice in 5+ years. I can't imagine needing more than one saw in NE.

Heck.. since I started cutting fire wood for heat, one saw just isn't enough... heck.. 2 not enough..

I currently have 2, but will soon get another. My little 34cc craftsman for around the house, my Dolmar 5100 for med to large firewood logs, and soon.. I hope.. a new Dolmar 7900 for the large tree trunks..

After that.. who knows.. I may start looking into the 90cc to 110cc.. You can never have to many saws... CAD.....

jnthuskers said:
Do I, really need two saws or is there one that will do the job.

Depends on what you are doing. A second saw can be a great asset if you do a lot of different kinds of cutting. That said, I work in remote locations all of the time with a single saw because I simply cant carry two for miles on end. I have never had a well maintained late model saw fail me. Should you make a mistake and pinch a bar, that is easily solved with either an axe and wedge, or you can simply pull the power head off and put a different bar and chain on to cut yourself out.

jnthuskers said:
What are saying Bigg_Redd, That NE does not have trees? If that is what you believe, than you need to get out of Wa. state more often, and venture a little EAST. GO BIG RED

I'd bet my next paycheck that NE doesn't have trees like WA has trees.

Sealcove said:
jnthuskers said:
Should you make a mistake and pinch a bar, that is easily solved with either an axe and wedge, or you can simply pull the power head off and put a different bar and chain on to cut yourself out.
Iv'e had one saw for about 25 years (Husky 50), only once, years ago, did I pinched the blade where I was forced to remove the head and leave the blade and chain stuck in the tree. Returned the next day and cut myself out. I remember it was a real hassle and I wasn't very happy.
It's been years since I heated with wood and cut my own firewood, but reading Sealcove's post reminded me why I had started keeping an old blade and chain with my chainsaw gear, somewhere along I must have forgot why I was hanging on to it, cause I don't have the spare blade (or chain) anymore.
Thanks for the reminder Sealcove, I was thinking of buying a new blade anyway, the one I'm using has already been dressed once and it's still got some play in the grove. It would make a good spare. ;-)
I'll still be keeping an eye out for one of those yard sale specials. :cheese:

I never said that Ne had more trees than Wa. I was simply saying that we do have trees and plenty of them. You have have to remember, Ne DOES NOT have a Logging Industry here. SO, I do not have to hassle with LOGGERS.

jnthuskers said:
I never said that Ne had more trees than Wa. I was simply saying that we do have trees and plenty of them. You have have to remember, Ne DOES NOT have a Logging Industry here. SO, I do not have to hassle with LOGGERS.

Hassle with loggers?

I've cut approximately 2 bahzillion cord of firewood in my lifetime, all of it free, and 90% of it felled and limbed by loggers. If it weren't for loggers I'd have to at least double my wood cutting time and effort.

Big_Redd, I'm trying to get into a pissing match with you, and I'm not showing any disrepect to the Loggers of this GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS. I was simply saying that NE does in fact have plenty of TREES. Obviously we do not have the forest the Wa has. If we did, well this country would not EAT. After all, Ne is a huge part of the corn belt, and beef. Yes its true, we have cattle. I know for some that is hard to believe.

I really like Nebraska, in fact my mother was born there. I also really like Washington state. I also like having more than one chain saw. I have an old Mac Timber Bear, 20" bar, that's capable of anything I ever need to do. But I also have a smaller Poulan 14" that's a very capable saw and it's lighter, so less tiring to operate when it's all I need. I also have a little Remington electric which is very light and pretty handy for little odd jobs around the ol' homestead, and can be rigged as a pole saw for limbing/pruning...so long as I have enough extension cord to reach to where I need to work. I hate ladders. Rick

Bigg_Redd said:
The OP was about need. Unless you make a living cutting trees no one needs 2 saws. Period. The end.
Well there you have it. Lock the thread, cancel Christmas, turn the lights off, nothing else to be said here... Redd has once again difinitively told us what we all need and what we don't need. Please move along now...

Status
Not open for further replies.