One saw, two cords a year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
Would like your opinions.

I'm close to purchasing a chainsaw for cutting 2 cords of firewood a year.

I'll be going after oak, maple, ash, hickory, mostly managable sized trees. 12' to 15' or less.

Brands would be between Stihl and Husky.

Models would be Stihl MS 270, 290 or 310.

Husky would be model 455.

Since I won't have a two saw option for limbing, felling, bucking.

I'm trying to find the best option for weight and power.

My fear is that a heavier saw would wear on me since I'm not a super athletic person, but I also don't want an underpowered saw.

Opinion?

Has anyone else found that the 290/455 is too heavy?

Thanks.

You are going to get a lot of mixed opinions here. I have Stihl's and Husky's. I like them both, but I would have to advise you to buy the Stihl, and the 270 is more than enough for what you are going to be doing with it, and with proper maintenance, it will run trouble free when your children inherit it.

290 or 310 : Get 2 bars, 16 and a 20 and a hand full of wedges.
If you get 1 bar pinched, just change out bars.
Don't forget your safety gear.

I would buy a used 026 or 260 before I'd buy a new 290. A 260, despite its price, would definitly be my recommendation and I'd put a 16" bar on it with a 3/8" chain. It will be the last saw you'll ever buy. You'll cut more wood faster with less work on your part with the smaller saw too. I'm serious, I've got both but next week when I put a saw up for sale on E-Bay it will be the 029.

andyrlee said:

My fear is that a heavier saw would wear on me since I'm not a super athletic person, but I also don't want an underpowered saw.

A pro class saw in the 50cc range is probably the lightest saw that will not irritate you cutting firewood. But, you pay quite a premium for the power/weight gain.

My vote would be for the 270, light but powerfull enough. might take longer to make some cuts, but wont kill your back either.

heck a ms180 would be enough

I'm pretty happy with my 260 so far. I'm running a 20" bar now, and I think that and a 16" would cover most needs. Not too heavy, but just enough guts for the harder stuff.

I cut 4 cords this year with an MS250 and full-chisel chain--never got heavy, never bogged down, and it's very nimble.
I picked up a 270 last week and it felt great; the 290 feels like a pig to me, but it seems super reliable.

S

A 260 would be perfect but expensive. A 250 or 270 Stihl would be fine for your use.. If you want a Husky, check out the 353 or the pro model 346XP

andyrlee said:
Would like your opinions.

I'm close to purchasing a chainsaw for cutting 2 cords of firewood a year.

I'll be going after oak, maple, ash, hickory, mostly managable sized trees. 12' to 15' or less.

Brands would be between Stihl and Husky.

Models would be Stihl MS 270, 290 or 310.

Husky would be model 455.

Since I won't have a two saw option for limbing, felling, bucking.

Opinion?

Has anyone else found that the 290/455 is too heavy?

Thanks.

Yes. Lots of people. Especially if they own a Dolmar. People who actually own 290/310s don't seem to complain about them much.

smokinjay said:
heck a ms180 would be enough

I'm almost inclined to agree. A max. of 12"-15" means that there's going to be a lot of cutting in the 4-10" range. Even in oak, I gotta think that a little 180 would be sufficient.

But above, I say 'almost inclined to agree' because having a bit more power opens up options. When all I had were smaller saws, I often had to leave a lot of wood back at the cutting site because I couldn't get 'em bucked.

Since this thread seems to be a "If you could only have one good all around saw" kind of affair, I'll go with the 260 folks.

I concur, a Stihl MS260 for a one do it all saw. I've been advised recently on a 260 as I thought my steed was giving out. Had my seyes on a 250, but with what I've learned I'm currently resurrecting a 34cc Snapper that was given to me..................

Danno77 said:

that's pushing it, I think a ported 660 with 36 in. bar could be managed with a good operator......

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

that's pushing it, I think a ported 660 with 36 in. bar could be managed with a good operator......

You BassTurds are funny :lol:

Anyway, to the OP . . . two cord of wood a year?!? :roll: Yer wife says just buy the dayumm wood and don't buy another toy!!

Danno77 said:

Geesh. Why don't we suggest a Dolmar CL? Only drawback is you need to have a cuttin' buddy along to help operate this hunk of iron. :)

8.jpg

CrawfordCentury said:
Danno77 said:

Geesh. Why don't we suggest a Dolmar CL? Only drawback is you need to have a cuttin' buddy along to help operate this hunk of iron. :)

8.JPG

Now your just running crazy,mad man "if you will",I think your glossing over the ported 660 takes a little finesse but once you get the hang of it 2 cords will be done in no time at all.......

CrawfordCentury said:
Danno77 said:

lol, i up your suggestion and propose that both saws are necessary for anything over a face cord per burning season.

I say a tilting seat and a cupholder are not optional, they're required for this job!!

smokinjay said:
Now your just running crazy,mad man "if you will",I think your glossing over the ported 660 takes a little finesse but once you get the hang of it 2 cords will be done in no time at all.......

Yup. Especially if you're buckin' sticks of wood like what's in your avatar. Them big rounds make the firewood quick.

Danno77 said:
lol, i up your suggestion and propose that both saws are necessary for anything over a face cord per burning season.

Give this vid a lookey-lou.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xOR0vG4ImM

Dolmar PS-5100 S

51cc, 4 H.P.

Best bang for the buck Pro 50cc in the class!

mobetter said:
Dolmar PS-5100 S

51cc, 4 H.P.

Best bang for the buck Pro 50cc in the class!

If you want a real fun saw, find one like this, 100cc 10 H.P.

The 5100 is faster in anything under 12" though!

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

at least with the 36 in. bar you won't have to bend over to do any cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.