One Step Closer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I assembled the nine foot ez rails tonight so I'm one step closer to milling some pine, the aux. oiler and mini mill should be in Friday or Monday.

Next on my list is the sharpener. :zip:

zap

Attachments

• 100_3347.jpg
    100_3347.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_3348.jpg
    100_3348.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_3349.jpg
    100_3349.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_3350.jpg
    100_3350.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 253
Zap, looking good. What do you mean you dont have a sharpener?

wow all that wood you do. impressive. I bought the maxx cousin of the one in your link and have wondered how I ever did this without it. My local shop did a lot of my chains but I'm happy to do them myself now. Once you set the stops, do a couple of grinds touching them up is a snap.

Nothing but good things to say about that oregon grinder. Wouldnt surprise me if they are mfg under the same roof as the maxx.

The Maxx looks like a great sharpener. With the milling I think it makes since to purchase the sharpener. Our guy at the local shop has already said buy it from them and they will show me how when it comes in, he's been more then fair with me on prices.

zap

zapny said:
The Maxx looks like a great sharpener. With the milling I think it makes since to purchase the sharpener. Our guy at the local shop has already said buy it from them and they will show me how when it comes in, he's been more then fair with me on prices.

zap

Yea thats going to be a long road without a grinder. I rotate 3 chains. On a big nice tree I set up the gen-set right next to the tree and have one person just on the grinder. That pine your going to be able to do quite a bit before you need to sharpen. Kinda depends on how your going to break it all down as well.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Yea thats going to be a long road without a grinder. I rotate 3 chains. On a big nice tree I set up the gen-set right next to the tree and have one person just on the grinder. That pine your going to be able to do quite a bit before you need to sharpen. Kinda depends on how your going to break it all down as well.

I have three chains at this point, what do you mean by your last sentence.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

I have three chains at this point, what do you mean by your last sentence.

zap

If your breaking down into big cants (natural edge slabs) 4, 6, 8 inches thick, Then using the mini-mill to make lumbar your now throwing 3/4 of the work to mini mill much easier on the saw needing only a short bar and sharpening issues greatly reduced....16 inch bar is more than you will need.

This bar sure would help out aswell....

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORF+130MPBD025&catID=12389

Status
Not open for further replies.