One tank of gas and the new stihl is dead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the exact thing with my 360 on Thursday. I missed the "burp". Pulled and pulled like crazy flooded it and just got it running today. Keep the saw and get used to it.

Its a piece of mechanical equipment, S_it happens. Big deal. Its still a top end saw. Sometimes your shoelace unties and you trip on it. Do ya throw your good shoes out?

north of 60 said:
Its a piece of mechanical equipment, S_it happens. Gig deal. Its still a top end saw. Sometimes your shoelace unties and you trip on it. Do ya throw your good shoes out?

went to velcro.

I sawed all day and busted up a lot of wood with the super splitter axe. Gonna be sore in the morning. Saw ran great and started up with one pull after it was warmed up. Think I'll hang on to it.

Rob

KYrob said:
I sawed all day and busted up a lot of wood with the super splitter axe. Gonna be sore in the morning. Saw ran great and started up with one pull after it was warmed up. Think I'll hang on to it.

Rob

YEA!

KYrob said:

Rob

Yep, Get back up on that high end horse and ride. Good on ya!

John_M said:
My Stihl MS250CQ is less than one year old and has cut 3-4 cords of firewood. It has been an excellent saw for its intended use. The Quick Start feature is a marvel of engineering. I have nothing but praise for its performance, startability, and reliability. Best wishes, John_M

I had one of the MS250CQ's, hated it! I bought it used off of CL from a weekend warrior who ran one tank of gas through it cutting down two trees in his backyard--it was in near mint condition. The EZ Start feature really sucked IMHO, ironically making my MS250 EZ start the hardest to start out of all my saws! The spring-loaded starting mechanism made it nearly impossible to give it the quick pulls needed to start it.....I dumped it quickly, and I'm glad I did.......

NP

Nonprophet said:
John_M said:
My Stihl MS250CQ is less than one year old and has cut 3-4 cords of firewood. It has been an excellent saw for its intended use. The Quick Start feature is a marvel of engineering. I have nothing but praise for its performance, startability, and reliability. Best wishes, John_M

I had one of the MS250CQ's, hated it! I bought it used off of CL from a weekend warrior who rand one tank of gas through it cutting down two trees in his backyard--it was in near mint condition. The EZ Start feature really sucked IMHO, ironically making my MS250 EZ start the hardest to start out of all my saws! I dumped it quickly, and I'm glad I did.......

NP

with a 440 mag heck yea!

Actually I had one too but couldnt pass up the 175 I made on selling it . I figured out how to start it after I showed my 110lb sister how eaasy it was to start . Its not a drop recoil saw or a fast recoil saw you need to pull it slowly is the best I can explain , then it works great .

webie said:
Actually I had one too but couldnt pass up the 175 I made on selling it . I figured out how to start it after I showed my 110lb sister how eaasy it was to start . Its not a drop recoil saw or a fast recoil saw you need to pull it slowly is the best I can explain , then it works great .

lol with a 440 mag heck yea! but your sister?

smokinjay said:
webie said:

Actually my 84 year old mother could start it too

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:

Actually my 84 year old mother could start it too

lmao thats funny...

smokinjay said:
Nonprophet said:
John_M said:

I had one of the MS250CQ's, hated it! I bought it used off of CL from a weekend warrior who rand one tank of gas through it cutting down two trees in his backyard--it was in near mint condition. The EZ Start feature really sucked IMHO, ironically making my MS250 EZ start the hardest to start out of all my saws! I dumped it quickly, and I'm glad I did.......

NP

with a 440 mag heck yea!

Yeah, believe it or not my 440 magnum is an easier, more reliable starter than that MS250 was, and that's without using the decompression valve!! lol

NP

ApproximateLEE said:
REDD u just commyitted one of the wurst cardnal sinns. Menshunning pullon and STIHL in the same sentance.

A good quick cure for a flooded saw is a butane/benzene torch in the cylinder head for 2 seconds to burn off the gas, and warm the plug while your at it.

For the record I have no problem with Poulans. I'd take a Poulan over a low end Stihl any time.

Starting instructions in the MS250's owners manual are not the best. Here is how I start my EasyStart MS250 after it has not been run for a few hours or months: 1) If needed, squeeze the primer bulb 1-4 times; 2) Set choke to full on position; 3) GENTLY pull starter cord until I feel compression; 4) Using the same technique as in #3, GENTLY pull starter cord another time or two until the "burp" is heard; 5) After hearing the "burp", lift choke lever to the half choke/start position; 6) GENTLY pull the starter cord another time or two until the saw starts. Using your strength, power, and speed to start the saw will not work. Use those manly efforts on the bigger saws without the Easy Start feature. Let the spring activated starting mechanism fulfill its intended purpose-allow IT to start the saw

A buddy tries to start my MS250 Easy Start the same way he starts his older "Farm Boss" using the "drop and yank" method. Neither he nor I can start my MS250 that way. Yanking away on the starter cord is not the proper way to start a saw with Stihl's Easy Start feature, even though another Stihl dealer showed me the "yanking" technique before I purchased my saw from a different dealer.

This information is humbly offered only for those who might be interested. It works for me. It might/might not work for you. Best wishes, John_M

John_M said:
Starting instructions in the MS250's owners manual are not the best. Here is how I start my EasyStart MS250 after it has not been run for a few hours or months: 1) If needed, squeeze the primer bulb 1-4 times; 2) Set choke to full on position; 3) GENTLY pull starter cord until I feel compression; 4) Using the same technique as in #3, GENTLY pull starter cord another time or two until the "burp" is heard; 5) After hearing the "burp", lift choke lever to the half choke/start position; 6) GENTLY pull the starter cord another time or two until the saw starts. Using your strength, power, and speed to start the saw will not work. Use those manly efforts on the bigger saws without the Easy Start feature. Let the spring activated starting mechanism fulfill its intended purpose-allow IT to start the saw

A buddy tries to start my MS250 Easy Start the same way he starts his older "Farm Boss" using the "drop and yank" method. Neither he nor I can start my MS250 that way. Yanking away on the starter cord is not the proper way to start a saw with Stihl's Easy Start feature, even though another Stihl dealer showed me the "yanking" technique before I purchased my saw from a different dealer.

This information is humbly offered only for those who might be interested. It works for me. It might/might not work for you. Best wishes, John_M

+1
yes this is totally correct

I have the standard 250 non easy start model and my 81 year old mother cannot start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.