One Tree, 3-1/2 Cords CSS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Most wood I've ever gotten out of one tree. A huge white pine, 104 counted rings, destroyed by lightning. Not the best btu/lb, but dries fast and burns well in my Tarm gasification boiler. Almost enough for a full winter of heating.

Most wood I've ever gotten out of one tree. A huge white pine, 104 counted rings, destroyed by lightning. Not the best btu/lb, but dries fast and burns well in my Tarm gasification boiler. Almost enough for a full winter of heating.

Nice! Was there any sap left in that pine that gave you trouble? Any pics?

That's a big 'un, for sure! :eek: Have to take your word on it, with no pics.... :p
Same BTU/lb. as any other wood. ==c

Reactions: PapaDave
Can you really heat your place on that much wood in northern Minnesota? I would (wood?) think more like 6.

We cut some limbs that broke off a medium sized white pine last December. Those limbs had broken off in a storm we had in early July last year. There was no sap to contend with and it was all super dry.

Funny part is, now two more limbs have broken off the same two trees. I'll get them this fall or winter because the owner doesn't have the means to cut them and told me that nobody burns pine so he couldn't get anyone to come get it. I told him to not worry because I'd take care of it for him. He is a good guy after all and I try to be on occasion... ;)

If you do cut and get sap on the bar and chain, WD-40 works wonders. If you get sap on your skin, it is difficult to beat Miracle Whip if you can get it without your wife noticing it. ==c

Woody Stover: you're right, my mis-statement. All wood has about the same btu/lb, should have said not the best btu/cord. No sap problem with the tree. Hit by lightning last summer and died quickly. And I did not take pictures. I could take a pix of the CSP wood, but that looks like most other stacks. Mine are 3 rows of 18" splits, raised off the ground on timbers with concrete block footings to get good air movement under the stacks, and then covered with metal roofing to keep the rain/snow off.

I heat my shop with a Tarm gasifier, in-floor pex, set at constant 61F. My normal wood is jack pine and some aspen, and white pine has about the same btu/lb as these. 4 cords is sufficient for a relatively normal winter. I'm at 46.87 degrees north latitude, about the same as the northern reaches of Maine.

Status
Not open for further replies.