One Year Ago I joined this Forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T Osborn

Dec 4, 2007
West-Central IN
One year ago today, 12/4/07, I joined this forum looking for information on wood stoves. I had already installed our stove and had been burning for about 10 days. It's funny, now that a new heating season is upon us, the "newbies" are asking the same questions I and many others were last year. For those still on the bubble as to utilize an alternate heating source, I fully recommend taking the plunge if funds are available. I realize I'm not the typical application, but we were able to recover the costs of the stove and piping in ONE winter. So this winter its all sweat equity and chain saw fuel that is tied up in keeping us very comfortable and not stressing about the gas man.Next best thing, I now own 4 chain saws and use every one of them!

Got to love the 4 chainsaws!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm interested in your 4 chainsaw setup. Here's my estimate.

Saw 1) The Big Boy. It's Heavy Duty, but that also makes it just plain HEAVY. Used for the trunk on big trees that you are bringing down.

Saw 2) It's not as hardcore as the big boy, but it ain't no Poulan, either. Used for cutting Smaller trunks as well as decently sized branches, and doesn't tire you out just to pull it out of the shed.

Saw 3) The handyman's saw. Portable, easy to use, and still goes through good sized branches without complaining.

Saw 4) Light enough to juggle with. You carry this guy around in your pocket, just in case someone has a dining room chair that you need turned into firewood FAST. Deals just fine with branches, but you sure don't wanna be taking down oaks with it.

Am I close here? Way off?

You must be psychic

1) Saw 1 is a 70cc Mac 7-10A circa 1970. No chain brake or AV. Loud enough to shatter the bark
off a hickory.
2) o28 Super Wood Boss. Need I say more? 54 cc
3) o24 Wood Boss. Most well-balanced saw if ever run and a joy to run. 46cc
4) MS-170 limb lopper. My wife gave me this last year when we first got back into burning wood.
I cut 3 cords with it before I got the other two Stihl listed above. 30cc

-forgot the other antique saw. 1958 Mac 35. One tank wonder. After running one tank of gas, you wonder why you ever started the thing! 54cc

And since you mentioned it, I do own a Poulan electric which cuts posts and 4X4's very well.

As a side bar, I was at a box store today and was checking out the Echo saws. CC to cc, they were priced higher than the Stihl that are on the market currently. Not sure what to make of that. I know of a local saw dealer that uses Echo as an ulternately priced saw to his Stihl lineand moves several of both brands each year. I better shut up or I'll get kicked to the Gear forum. Thanks.
Ozzie at work, OzFest at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.