One year in - pics of set-up and update.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Well i have been on the site one year now. This is my first proper season burning wood i did try last year but the quality of the bought seasoned wood was very poor.

I have started burning 24/7. It is so nice to wake up and come home to a nice warm house. Not sure how much wood i am going to use but my first estimate is 'a lot'. When i first started i made my rows 4 foot high but now i am running out of room the rows are ~ 7 feet high and stacked against each other. Not exactly sure how much wood i have but there are 24 rows of 4 pallets.
You can see how much i have used so far this year in the 3rd picture. I take my Ute down to the wood store and fill it up. It takes 5 wheel barrows to fill it. Then i take the ute upto the house and load a log rack i made out of an old bed and the ute load fills it up. this lasts about 5 days. I am thinking about a 1/3 of a cord a week - does this seem normal - average? i am hoping i will have enough for 3 years here.

Once this season is finished i will split the rounds at the front of the pile and replenish but leave a gap between the 2 piles so i can still get to the seasoned stuff first.

CAM00184.jpgCAM00186.jpgCAM00188.jpgCAM00189.jpgCAM00191.jpgCAM00194.jpg

man, full on set system you have going. i love it...do you cover wood ever?....I only burn on the weekends, but today i had an RDO and have had the fire running since friday night....I have to admit i love keeping the fire going full time....wish i had enough wood t keep it running 7 days a week!

Nice stacks, one thing I learned from here is wood consumption can change from house to house. Depends on many things but the average home here would seem to go through about 4-5 cord a year.

Reactions: ScotO
When i first started i made my rows 4 foot high but now i am running out of room the rows are ~ 7 feet high and stacked against each other. Not exactly sure how much wood i have but there are 24 rows of 4 pallets.
Nice work, it is an addiction, but a good one:cool:

Seems like you're using a lot of wood.
But, like Sean says, every house is different, and use has many factors.
I take it this is the start of your burn season?
The first month of our season, we use about 1/3 cord of pine.
I prefer the term..."lifestyle", rather than addiction, to describe this thing we do.;)

Seems like you're using a lot of wood.
But, like Sean says, every house is different, and use has many factors.
I take it this is the start of your burn season?
The first month of our season, we use about 1/3 cord of pine.
I prefer the term..."lifestyle", rather than addiction, to describe this thing we do.;)

Well said PapaDave

Only change I'd suggest is to get those rounds split now rather than wait. It will make a big difference when it comes to burning time.

i love it...do you cover wood ever?.
I don't cover my wood - but one day i want a wood shed....... i store about a ute full under cover by the front door. i replenish this every few days. It doesn't seem to make much difference if the wood is surface wet as it soon dries out under the car port, the main thing is leave it out in the wind for as long as you can a bit of rain wont harm it as long as you have somewhere dry for a couple of days just before you burn it.

Only change I'd suggest is to get those rounds split now rather than wait. It will make a big difference when it comes to burning time.

I only have a bit of room left and if i fill it then i wont have any 'excuse' to go get some more wood. Its off the ground and i dont think i will need for at least 2 years probably 3 years.

I tried a new technique last night for my over night burn. Instead of filling the whole of the fire box full of wood i filled about 1/2 of it full. I filled the middle of the firebox with 2 splits x stacked 3 high. i still had plenty of coals this morning and it wasn't as hot over night (didn't have to have the window fully open) this could save a bit of wood and the house is still toasty warm. Still need the full firebox in the day though.

average home here would seem to go through about 4-5 cord a year.
if i am using a 1/3 of a cord x 12 weeks ~ 4 cords so not a million miles away. it might be even better next year as this is my first year and the wood is not 'perfect'.

I had to laugh at this term, not busting on you but it's funny how different areas of the world use the same sounding words and they mean totally different things!!
sometimes i try and use 'Americanisms' ie Cord instead of Metre Sq Deg F instead of Deg C etc.... but sometimes one will get through......==c

sometimes i try and use 'Americanisms' ie Cord instead of Metre Sq Deg F instead of Deg C etc.... but sometimes one will get through......==c

I've had a lot of fun with another Aussie, Glen Druery, who comes to the states many times and he is a good bike rider too.

Looks like a good set-up, and sounds like you're hooked for good!
Yup, he's one of the afflicted, for sure!

I had to laugh at this term, not busting on you but it's funny how different areas of the world use the same sounding words and they mean totally different things!!

A bit off the topic, but I still laugh at that exchange in My Cousin Vinny. In fact, the whole movie is hysterical

How much of a difference do you notice from last year to this year having better seasoned wood?

Putting the fruits of your labor to heat your home is a good feeling !

Like said , lots of factors on "how much wood burned per year".

How cold are the days & nights now ?
July is your coldest month, that should be the month you burn the "good wood" ;)

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
How much of a difference do you notice from last year to this year having better seasoned wood? Putting the fruits of your labor to heat your home is a good feeling ! Like said , lots of factors on "how much wood burned per year". How cold are the days & nights now ? July is your coldest month, that should be the month you burn the "good wood" ;)
There is a massive difference from last year to this but i am still a newbie regards wood types and length of seasoning. I had a row of blackwood (a standard hardwood around here) which has a very straight grain and is very easy to split. I remember splitting it just over 12 months ago and that has struggled to get going but once it does it throws out considerable heat. Another wood on the same row and therefore cut / split the same time was a nightmare to split its the same weight (GSM) but burns beautifully with a nice clean glass even overnight after the same amount of seasoning.

I cant believe how warm the house is in the morning when we get up. Its hard to explain as i would have thought the heat would be just next to the stove, but its not its the whole house that's warm - not over-hot but just the same temperature from room to room. By keeping the wood heater running 24/7 it seems to just keep topping it up. Its not like our gas central heating which turns off and on going from hot to cold to hot to cold. wood is a nice constant all over temp.

July and August are our coldest months. Typically getting up to 40 f in the day time and down to 30 f at night with a couple of ground frost throughout winter. Still not sure how much wood i should be using - i assume, enough to keep you warm :confused: Unfortunately i don't separate my wood - and until i burn some i don't know what is good or bad. Its all a learning curve. Its all good - you can lean a lot in a year. I class this as my hobby and i enjoy every aspect of it.

Reactions: swagler85 and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.