Online Place to Purchase Pumice Bricks!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dprosper75

Sep 1, 2009
Maryland
One year under my belt with a wood insert (Kodiak 1700) and it wasn't an easy year to figure out burning. Hearth.com was
an excellent resource for me (guess I'm not a newbie anymore)!! In preparing the stove for the upcoming Winter, I have some
concerns on the current Pumice Brick...specifically the ones on the floor. I've read prior posts and have had some clinker-like
material take some of the brick off with it during cleaning. Would anyone know of an online place that would
sell replacement bricks where I wouldn't have to go through the dealer? I wouldn't mind having some extra bricks
on hand just in case.

Thanks......

That question comes up every year. And to date I haven't seen where anybody has found a source other than a dealer. You would think one would have surfaced by now.

And if you do find a source, be aware that all bricks are not created equal. The easiest way I can explain is to "get the bricks that weigh the same as the old ones". Density plays more of a game in some stoves than others.

Thanks a lot. I figured I'd take a shot with all the wealth of knowledge that people contribute on hearth.com

Looks like I'll be calling Enviro!!!

Thanks again!!

Actually on the bottom of the firebox replacing them with normal ceramic firebricks for three bucks apiece should do fine. Good grief, they have a layer of insulating ash on top of them anyway.

I still swear that they use those pumice bricks to save on shipping costs, not to provide better insulation.

the regular ones work fine and hold up better. pumice snaps too easy

Yeah, I hear ya on the bricks, but I was told that the pumice style actually has better insulating values (more important on the sides) than the solid ones. How does this affect internal temps and such....dunno. Wheres Corie when we need him.

I found out this spring I can order 6 packs of these bricks for a much better price than the "single" brick price. I think retail price it comes to around $40 for the 6-pack (or was it $23... hmm).

We have a wet saw and can cut to size. Not sure what shipping would be. Might be better off trying a local dealer.

jtp10181 said:
I found out this spring I can order 6 packs of these bricks for a much better price than the "single" brick price. I think retail price it comes to around $40 for the 6-pack (or was it $23... hmm).

We have a wet saw and can cut to size. Not sure what shipping would be. Might be better off trying a local dealer.

kiln fired bricks are @ $2-5 locally a piece at most hardware stores(@5), brickyards(@2) and stove shops(3-4).

I don't know what a kiln fired brick is, but its probably not the same as the pumic bricks I was talking about.

I just bought a case of 20 for $60. The dealer charged me 15 for shipping and he made 15 bucks, so they were 30 bucks.
They do perform much better than masonary firebrick. I switched to masonary last year and not much heat, they insulated to much. Pumice lets the heat penitrate much more allowing the internal box to heat up better. I switched back to pumice

buckdog said:
I just bought a case of 20 for $60. The dealer charged me 15 for shipping and he made 15 bucks, so they were 30 bucks.
They do perform much better than masonary firebrick. I switched to masonary last year and not much heat, they insulated to much. Pumice lets the heat penitrate much more allowing the internal box to heat up better. I switched back to pumice

Buckdog pass on the info so others can order.

I switched to the masonry bricks in my Quad insert last year and am not happy with the stove performance. I just ordered the brick set from a Quad dealer for $140. If I could get a case for that price I will keep them as spares

What type of stove do you have ?

Thanks

I have a Regency medium insert. I ordered them from my nearest dealer. They are standard size 4.5 x 1.5 x 9 inches. On the box all ir says is FPI products which is Regency. They will work much better than the Masonry bricks that are much heavier, I'd say the new bricks are at least half the weight as the masonry.

You can find a lot of the replacement parts for Quadra Fire on the Woodheatstoves.com site. Link http://woodheatstoves.com/wood-stove-parts

I just purchased a replacement cermaic 1/2 inch blanket to go on top of the fiber board for $28 plus shipping. The Quadrafire dealer in the area wanted $60. I did notice too that the pumic set for my stove Quadra Fire is around $145 and a single brick with the hole is $29. The bricks are pricey. I used some stove cement on the cracked ones to hold a few vertical so they wouldn't tip over while moving the hotness around. Maybe get another year or two out of them.

I too would like to see where the cheaper set can be purchased.
No burning here as of yet actually hit 79F.

Status
Not open for further replies.