Only 6 cord from a 10 cord pulp delivery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yooper Burning

Mar 16, 2007
Wetmore, MI
Glad I cut my own wood for the most part. Helped a buddy cut, split and stack his "10 pulp cord" and he was pretty bummed that we only put up 6 full cord of firewood. I understand the whole volume deal, but I thought he would get at least 7 cord out of the load. He thought he was getting 10 full cord and is ready to demand some of his money back.

So, I looked around, and the best thing on the internet I found was a range of 65% to 87% of wood volume to a pulp cord. Depedning on size and straightness of the logs. That would translate to 6.5 to 8.7 cords from a 10 pulp cord delvery. So I think he was still shorted a bit for his $850.

What is "normal" for the amount of wood you get from a pulp cord? Is 60% when finally cut, split, and stacked ballpark or is it light? I was thinking of ordering a load next year as I have pretty much cut my woodlot as much as I want to. Don't want a clear cut back there. But 6 cords for $850 and then still doing all the cutting and splitting myself doesn't sound too good.

Thanks for any input.

Yooper Burning said:
Glad I cut my own wood for the most part. Helped a buddy cut, split and stack his "10 pulp cord" and he was pretty bummed that we only put up 6 full cord of firewood. I understand the whole volume deal, but I thought he would get at least 7 cord out of the load. He thought he was getting 10 full cord and is ready to demand some of his money back.

So, I looked around, and the best thing on the internet I found was a range of 65% to 87% of wood volume to a pulp cord. Depedning on size and straightness of the logs. That would translate to 6.5 to 8.7 cords from a 10 pulp cord delvery. So I think he was still shorted a bit for his $850.

What is "normal" for the amount of wood you get from a pulp cord? Is 60% when finally cut, split, and stacked ballpark or is it light? I was thinking of ordering a load next year as I have pretty much cut my woodlot as much as I want to. Don't want a clear cut back there. But 6 cords for $850 and then still doing all the cutting and splitting myself doesn't sound too good.

Thanks for any input.

Well, I've got a better deal now, but around here, they sell log length by the "truck load" or as a "grapple load". Essentially this is what the local wood guys can get on their trucks, which are long body stake beds with a crane on them (I've got pictures of one in the Hearth party thread I posted last summer) They all tell you the approximate range of what you should get from one of their truckloads, which seems to depend on who's truck - some say 4-5 cords, some say 5-7. All should give you a rough estimate of what a truckload should yield. I will say that unless the trucks where you live are a LOT bigger than the ones around here, 10 cords sounds awfully optimistic.

If your friend asked what to expect, and was told 10 cords, I'd say he has a gripe. If he didn't, then consider it a lesson learned...

FWIW, I've gotten w/in the range I expected from each load that I've purchased. - Lately I've been getting a slightly better deal, one of the local tree guys will bring you whatever he has on the truck for $50 and drop it in your yard instead of his. I've gotten a couple of loads like this from him, each one has been about 3 cords, all oak, so I've got no complaints...

Gooserider

That comes out to 141.66 per cord. That is very high for a cord of wood, around
here i can get a cord cut,split & deliverd for 175.00.The guy i get my log lenth from
charges me 50.00 @ cord i allways get 6 cords for 300.00.And to boot its 80%
black locust, some red oak and ash.

I bought a 10 pulp cord load (the semi's tandem grapple trailers were not full) and according to my calculations now that I have it all bucked it's closer to 12 and will split out even higher than that. I paid $750.

With firewood you shouldn't be losing volume buying log length, you should gain some as you split it (it expands more than you lose to the chain saw). I'm pretty sure those loss figures you quoted relate to milling - not cord wood.

That does sound pretty steep. Down near Lansing/Jackson I've been getting seasoned, split hardwood delivered for about 125/cord. I could go cheaper, but it's mostly oak and beech (furniture/lumber rejects), and clean. And he usually delivers a little too much.

Steve

Yooper, it sounds like you've been busy. I too would be a little ticked at netting only 6 cords. I also wonder what he got. Hardwood or pulpwood.

Also, where you live, why aren't you cutting on government land? Much cheaper than buying off the truck. Of course you need a way to haul it. I know a fellow from Manitique who drives almost to where you live so he can cut. Well, maybe he drives that far so he can do some drinking in peace too! Remember one time we were roasting and here he comes with a load of wood and his clothing was so wet he almot drowned. The temperature that day was in the high 90's with accompanying humidity. Better he than me.

A permit from the Michigan DNR for up to 5 cord of firewood per household per year costs $20, which I think is more to cover admin costs than anything else. Yoopers are in luck because the transport of firewood across the Mackinaw bridge is restricted. Us "southerners" reaaly don't have much access to state land at all, and it would be uneconomic to drive that far anyway.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-30301_30505_30731-24382--,00.html

I've seen those ads for the "10-cord" loads when I'm up there in the summer. Never seemed like a great deal. When delivered was it stacked in a manner that it could be measured? Because as I understand it, what "counts" is the stacked volume as delivered (i.e. as logs).

If I recall, the going rate for a face cord (presumably 1/3 of a cord, why MI is all about face cords I don't know) up in that area is around $55, so your friend didn't save very much.

Just to clarify, he did buy 10 cord of log length described as pulp cords. When stacked, it did measure 10 cord with all the air space included. So he did get, I guess, what he agreed to pay for. If only 6 cord of firewood in the end is normal I'm definitely looking somehwere else if I end up buying in the future.

I did purchase a firewood permit from the Forest Service this year for $20. Can take up to 5 cord of dead and down out of the woods. I ended up scavaging about 3 cord. Not bad for $20. But hauling is the major issue. I need to buy a trailer as I only have a little Ford ranger and I can only haul about 1/2 a face cord, maybe a little more, at a time with it. So when I add up gas and such that 3 cord cost more that $20 having to make 18 or so trips to the woods.

I've done the MI DNR cutting permit for a few years. Wood has to be on the ground and no making trails or leaving the logging roads with your vehicle to get to it. Wood can be moved using a wheelbarrow or cart. It's really only worth it if you can go in behind the loggers and use their skidder roads to get to the tops and slash they leave. But for $20 one good easy access tree that goes down in a storm is worth it too. I go 4 wheeling on the logger roads around here and scout for wood, the last 2 years I haven't found anything worth the effort.

Yooper Burning said:
I did purchase a firewood permit from the Forest Service this year for $20. Can take up to 5 cord of dead and down out of the woods. I ended up scavaging about 3 cord. Not bad for $20. But hauling is the major issue. I need to buy a trailer as I only have a little Ford ranger and I can only haul about 1/2 a face cord, maybe a little more, at a time with it. So when I add up gas and such that 3 cord cost more that $20 having to make 18 or so trips to the woods.

Do you have a toolbox in the way? I can get at least a face-cord in my Ranger, the bed is 6'x4' so if you average 2' high stacking that's .375 cord. Weight becomes an issue sometimes before volume does, though. I've had my mudflaps dragging on the trip home.

A trailer is certainly the answer. I also use one of those appliance dollys (the 2 wheeled cart) to haul rounds out of the woods to the road. I haven't tackled anything over 18" in diameter yet and I could get about 2 rounds on the cart at a time. When it gets down to 14" I can get about 3 in one haul. Of course it would be much better if one could just skid the log out, but that is where the DNR gets sticky.

I must say that converted boat trailers can be a really cheap way to transport firewood. I got a scrap boat (19') and a serviceable trailer for $256 a while back. I gave the outdrive to my neighbor, who had trouble with his, and that scored me a spot on the lake to put my dock (attached to his at 90 degrees). Paid $40 to get rid of the hull at the landfill and I still had a nice trailer. Chassis needs sandblasting and re-painting, but the axle, wheels and tires are just fine. The trailer is rated for close to 4000lb, so that is a fair amount of wood. I need to add a flat platform and ramps and new lights, then I'm set. So far I have been using a much smaller 4x8 trailer behind my chevy Cobalt.. I have boasted that I must have the most fuel efficient "pickup" in Michigan.

DiscoInferno - No toolbox, but I have an extended cab and short bed. I only get 1/2 a face cord of wood when loosely thrown into the back. A little more if I stack it neatly.

KeithO - Never thought of converting an old boat trailer. I know where I can get one cheap, maybe for free, that only needs a little TLC and some OSB or something bolted to it and railings. Great idea! Also, before I moved UP here I lived near Grass Lake (Leoni), with a Jackson address. The only two things I miss are the great (and easy) deer hunting (but the scenery is much better here) and actually getting to go to Wolverine football games without driving 7 hours! I don't miss driving 94 to Ann Arbor for work every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.