Ontario, Canada to ban wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse than that. In our area typically it is someone with an old smoke dragon burning poorly seasoned wood by getting it going then shutting down the air and letting it smolder for hours. But it could be someone with a fireplace burning the same poorly seasoned wood.

I'll give you that your reasoning has merit but in your area it is likely common knowledge that what you describe is bad.

In my area, your description above would be seen as directions.

The majority of wood burners in the US are seniors. The rest will learn from us or from the majority which are mostly smoldering fire, smoke dragon fans but not necessarily willful abusers.

Maybe a toothless reg if there is no enforcement.
The majority of wood burners in the US are seniors. The rest will learn from us or from the majority which are mostly smoldering fire, smoke dragon fans but not necessarily willful abusers.
That surprises me. An informal poll here showed younger people. So did this WA State report
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-burner-demographics.2319/
http://www.doh.wa.gov/portals/1/documents/mtgs/2010/20101005-pr-20091005-ps-smokegetsinyoureyes.pdf

That seems to be the way in Ontario ... MTO posts a half-loading in the spring. This year on our secondary highway, it was totally ignored until folks started complaining. Likely no one was charged... Hydro One was installing a substation off of the local entry to old forestry roads for the mine development. Dump trucks fully loaded and not using their screens. The secondary highway is only tarred rock so now there are many low spots pounded in. MNR track record on shorelines is not much better.

If you google it, you get a lot of people going "OMG STOVE BAN!!1", but the proposals they're talking about are particulate emission standards, not bans on anything.

I'd say the EPA rules in the US made wood burning a much better experience for everyone. Manufacturers had to figure out tube stoves and cat stoves. End users got much better heat output and burn times. Their neighbors get a lot less wood smoke. We still haven't banned legacy stoves, but it'd honestly be a favor to the people who still have them if we did. (I've had both; not going back!)

Really Begreen. You're the one that gave me that info!

On the thread, "out right ban on anything wood in Utah" post 70, you stated- according to US census numbers the majority of wood burners are over 65 living in mobiles.

I encourage you to also read post 68 and 69 as it pertains to this thread.

Last edited:
;em Sorry for the confusion. There appears to be a conflict between national EPA census and WA state data. Might be that WA state has less mobile home living seniors. Now I can't find the EPA census data and what I can find is based on 8-10 yr old data, though it is inciteful regarding the process of quantifying the effect of emissions and their regulation.
https://www3.epa.gov/ttn/ecas/docs/ria/wood-heaters_ria_final-nsps-revision_2015-02.pdf

Last edited:
EPA report writers must be on crack ... page 57, price of stoves I have never seen a new pellet stove for $300!!

2008 pricing, but that still does sound very low. Maybe it was for a pellet basket?

Think I have it figured out ... the Window pellet stoves that were recalled. Just found mention of one from Princess Auto in 2013 for $524 (Cdn store and Cdn dollars). Even the Comfortbilt imports are around $1000.... So I guess they qualified the window one as a pellet stove ... more of a fire hazard:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.