Ontario Pellet Prices??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoop

Nov 29, 2008
Southern Ontario
I'm curious to know what my fellow Ontario and Canada burners are paying for pellets. Where I live in South Eastern Ontario they started the season at $300 a ton and are staying there, despite big stockpiles at the dealers. Surely the price is going to come down at sometime before summer. Just curious to get some views on this from anywhere in the province.

Thanks

Stan

I was in the local Home Depot here in N.B. and they had lots of pellets in stock,and with such a mild winter lately,I can't see them selling them all,so I expect they must be planning to carry them over to next year, since they never put pellets on sale. $6.49 per bag for the best local brand. There is so much supply this year,someone must be willing to give a price break.

I've been paying $5.99 a bag all winter. The feed mill where I buy them tried to raise the price to $6.25 but I refused to pay it.
I've been buying 10 bags at a time, and burn a bag a day.

The lowest price I have found in Winnipeg was Rona at $5.49 a bag CT is $5.99 and no one is lowering the price . So far .

I managed to beat Rona down to $5.49 per bag for LGs, but only after I produced a flyer from Kents showing Cozys at that price.

Next up: I'm going to ask to see the manager for a deal on a pallet. The guys in the yard told me that pellet sales this year were below the sales from 3 years ago, and they have plenty of stock.

Are youCanadian guys getting any choices in brands ?I have only found four different brands in Winnipeg .The best one was Lignetics and they were out of them in a week

They have Eastern Embers and Comfy Cozy going for $5.49 a bag here in South Western N.B. and they have the Maine Pellets currently going for $4.99.

Here in Nova Scotia we have:

Eastern Embers - NS product, found just about everywhere - 5.99
LGs - Rona - Quebec product - 5.99
Cozy - Kents - New Brunswick product - 5.49
Lignetics and Maine Wood Pellets - Canadian Tire carries, but not usually at the same time - 5.99 (the inventory is not steady nor predictable)

Plus there are a few cottage industry-types, but I've found the quality of those to be very low - high ash, really long pellets, lots of fines - 4.50-4.99.

I took the advice from this forum and switched to LGs - the advice was bang-on - top drawer pellets, in my view.

Finally got a bit of a deal today at my local Home Hardware. $5.49 a bag for pellets from Curran Renewable Energy based in Mississauga. However I have burned these before and they are not the hottest. Might be a good spring pellet though. B ag says they are premium but doesn't say if they are hard or soft wood.

I tried to get the lady at my local feed mill to match that price but she wouldn't. She sells a much better pellet "Pro Pellets"made in Indiana but says she can't do better than $5.99 a bag "right now". I don't know if that means she will lower her price in July or not. I gave her my shpiell about oversupply and not being competitive with oil but all she did was shrug her broad shoulders.

Excell said:
Are youCanadian guys getting any choices in brands ?I have only found four different brands in Winnipeg .The best one was Lignetics and they were out of them in a week

Very Little choice here. Pro Pellets from Indiana and a Curran Renewable Energy pellet from Ontario. People who stock them here act like they are doing you a favour by allowing you to buy some.

When I was in the local Canadian Tire trying to get a deal on a bulk purchase of pellets, the customer service rep told me their cost on both Lignetics and Maine Wood Pellets was $5.24 per bag, hence the $5.99 price. Extrapolating from that, without the transport cost of Lignetics or Maine WP, Eastern Embers (made in Nova Scotia) and Cozy (made in New Brunswick) must be raking it in at $5.99 per bag.

The price here in Nova Scotia was $6.49 at the start of the winter, then $6.29, then $5.99. Every store moved their price in lock-step. Looks much like price-fixing, if you ask me.

Around U.S. thanksgiving lowes in the toronto area ran a half price sale. Got them at $3.00 a bag. Bought some beginning of Febuary from rona at $4.50 a bag. End of Febuary bought Energex at rona/lansing for $5.00 a bag.

Best price this year was rona Orangeville skid prices were $4.99 per bag, most home hardware had LG's at $5.69 on skid prices. Mount Forest home hardware has Eastern Embers at $5.69 regardless of quanty and they have lots still in the yard

Status
Not open for further replies.