OOOH that Smell !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
hmm-

as someone who has heated significantly with wood for almost 20 years, although to varying degrees depending on the rest of life....

and as someone who once had a frigid little apartment with a woodstove that backdrafted so badly that I and everything I owned smelled like bacon until mid-July that year, to the point that bacon and campfires repulsed me until September of that year (even though I usually like both)

I

LOVE

the smell of my gasifier

it may contain polycyclic aromatic something or others supposedly "known" to to the State of California (whenever I read those labels, I wonder, is that "known" in the Biblical sense ? ) to cause something or other....

but...

it smells "clean," and I get more heat per log than I'd have thought possible before based on past appliances.

can't wait 'til I see what fine tuning and storage/ control open up.

To me, gasification exhaust smells like lightly toasted wood. It's really a very pleasant smell.

Of course, if things aren't going right, it can stink to high heaven.

Eric Johnson said:
To me, gasification exhaust smells like lightly toasted wood. It's really a very pleasant smell.

yeah- it's like bacon met marshmallows !

what more could a guy want other than a gal to hand him tankards of grog ?

I have a cousing who's an MD. He says that some people can do amazing diagnostics by smelling the patient's breath. I wonder if we could apply that theory to gasifier tuning?

For sure there's a faint yet distinct slightly sweet / slightly nutty odor that's evident when it's running well.

Funny how we choose to describe pretty subjective things like smells. I think bacon/marshmellow and sweet/nutty are both pretty good descriptions of what I choose to call "toasted wood."

I don't care what you call it--it's one of the sweetest smells on my olfactory radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.