Oooohhhhh, the stuff we do!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herdbull

Dec 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Because my wood is too big and my box is too small! Suffering from SFS (small firebox syndrome) I came up with this hair brained idea today. Seems to work pretty decent but it could use a tweak or 2.

I made it so I can easily cut down my longer pieces to 12" so I can load N/S. It's that or buy another new stove which really isn't in the budget right now. The only thing I need to redo is make it so there's 12.5"-13" of wood sticking out to give me some clearance while cutting. I made it right at 12" which nets me about 11.5" pieces. Might as well get every .25" or .50" I can.

Attachments

• wood thingy.jpg
    wood thingy.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 842
nah not so crazy. seen pleny of those on here. everything from a milkcrate turned sideways to a dimensional replica of their hearth. Now you got to deal with chunks which is great stuff.

"....wood is too big and my box is too small! " My wife says the same thing!

Sorry, but I couldn't resist...it's my inner 13 year old coming out.

schlot said:

My instant thought when reading. It's not a matter of where is the joke in this..it's how many jokes are in this.

Not so uncommon. I just brought home about 2.25 cord for next year. All of which I myself cut about 1 - 1.5 inches too long. I've been cutting for many years and could not believe I did this. I finaly figured out how I was using the mark I put on the bar and not measuring to the right spot on the saw body.

This is a great idea! My parents lost an oak tree that was at least a hundred years old. I was able to cut up the branches to the size of my firebox but I wasn't able to cut the main part of the tree due to its width. Even after making multiple cuts I couldn't buck the tree. Luckily the tree service that the insurance company sent out was able to buck the rest. My next problem was moving the huge rounds. We rented a splitter for the day and split the logs down to what you see here. My Brave EZ split was definetely too small for that job. Now that I have 90% of the wood home I have to recut them to 18" or less. I'm gonna build something like this to speed up the process. Thanks!

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 645
yeah it was meant to be a little tongue in cheek with the "my wood is too big" statement. I actually threw a couple pieces in the stove yesterday and they fit quite nicely. This is much better use of space inside the firebox. I can see this adding an hour onto my over night burns.

It was scrap lumber I had laying around, otherwise there's maybe $5 in 2x4's. A few extra minutes as well but I see no more burned hands, no more logs rolling up onto the glass, and no more voids when loading her up full. The chunks might be a little inconvenience but they'll burn just as good as the rest of it. I'm so frugal sometimes I swear I'd burn saw dust!

herdbull said:
I'm so frugal sometimes I swear I'd burn saw dust!

Is that an option?

I made something like that last week....not as tall. I use bungee cord wrapped around the wood to keep it tight, and stagger the wood in the pile to have some shorter than others....and the little 3-4 inch pieces work great at kickin' up the fire
DSCN2070.jpg

schlot said:

Was thinking the same thing. Thats funny.

infinitymike said:
schlot said:

Was thinking the same thing. Thats funny.

never had someone say "your wood is to big"

hmmmmmm.......

schlot said:

Mine too, but its not a complaint, just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.