Oooooh that smell, can't you smell that smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not a favorite fuel of mine,but the smell of black walnut splits makes me think back to jr high woodshop.
right now my processing area smells like walnut/sugar maple mix especially after light rain or morning dew.

The red oak around here smells just like peach yogurt. Love it!

Hate Cottenwood.

I like sassafras for the aroma not burn quality and black birch for the root beer smell. Most real dry wood smells good cooking in the stove except willow and sumac. Vile weeds.

I split eucalyptus. Some gives off the menthol cough-drop smell.

I spent the last three weekends cutting down redwood stumps in preparation for the stump grinder. I like the smell of redwood.

i love the smell of fresh split ash. it has a unique smell and im probably partial to that because its what saved my "ash" the first winter of home ownership. and black locust is definitely nauseating

Six days out of the week I have to say Sugar maple. The sap of sugars smells just like the syrup that gets boiled down from it. On the Sabbath day however, I have to vote for Applewood, it would be disloyal to vote otherwise. And when Im on vacation its Hickory for sure. But there was this rare occasion of a flowering crabapple that got crushed by a fallen black cherry that had to get severely pruned and I never smelled anything like it. It smelled like concord grapes. And the wood was streaked with purple and rose colored ribbons thruout the heartwood.
When I burn my maple tree in my outdoor fireplace, it smells just like maple syrup, I love it.....

My top two would be Sassafras and Pine. But I do like Oak even if it's a little strong for my taste after being split.

Junk for firewood but Basswood has a nice smell in the campfire.

I like hickory, because it reminds me of smokin meat on the grill. Thats what i use when cooking ribs, steaks, burgers and brisket. Just think bout it makes me want to fire the grill up.

Reactions: bluedogz
Status
Not open for further replies.