OOPS- Double Check it Before Going To Bed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwood715

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2005
Hyde Park, New York
House fire blamed on outdoor fireplace

RED OAKS MILL — An outdoor wood-burning heater on a deck likely caused a serious house fire Monday morning on Pine Tree Drive.

One Arlington firefighter sustained a minor wrist injury fighting the fire.

The fire heavily damaged the rear exterior of the house at 16 Pine Tree Drive, said
Jeffrey Pells, deputy chief of the Arlington Fire Department.

A man and woman in the burning structure exited safely. The fire started about 3:30 a.m.

Furniture and contents on the first and second floor were heavily damaged by smoke and water used to fight the fire.

The probable cause was a chiminea, an earthenware outdoor fireplace used Sunday night, Pells said.

“It’s not suspicious, but it’s still under investigation,” he said of the fire.

The American Red Cross of Dutchess County was on the scene and provided temporary housing for the couple.

About 25 Arlington firefighters were assisted by volunteers with the New Hamburg Fire Department.

- John Davis

So let me understand this, they are burning wood in a flower pot on a * assuming wood?* deck, then left it with fire inside when they decided to go to bed?

And the Insurance company is going to be forced to pay out?

Matt

Sounds like this could be Darwin at work again.....

Have an outside firepit, home insurance stays the same
Have a modern woodstove installed under UL and manufacturers (as well as state, town, federal) guidelines and home insurance goes up.............................

Most reputable chimnea and firepit manufacturers recommend putting the chimnea on a non-combustible surface like paver blocks (aka hearth pad) if on a wooden deck. Perhaps they should be a little more bold like 4" tape with block letter on it _ Don't use this directly on wood! I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even put some sand to the bottom.

babalu87 said:
Have an outside firepit, home insurance stays the same
Have a modern woodstove installed under UL and manufacturers (as well as state, town, federal) guidelines and home insurance goes up.............................

My insurance stayed the same.........but some companies do raise rates.....

I have a chiminea and have never burned in it...but I believe they recommend a certain fuel, not bit old logs. I also wouldn't use it on a wooden deck. Actually, mine is sitting out by the pond on dirt. If I ever used it I could always push it into the pond if it got out of hand. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.