Open fireplace, Creosote cleaning in smoke chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey!

I am relatively new to the burning thing and have recently learned how creosote buildup works and can effect your chimney and home. First off, yes, I am burning seasoned firewood, mostly oak and cherry, and had a professional chimney sweep at the beginning of the season. I would say that I do burn quite a bit for just having an open fireplace.

I have realized that a few of the bricks in the smoke chamber are starting to get a creosote "glaze" on them and it is a bit shiny but it's not coated everywhere. This makes me very nervous because I am currently learning about chimney fires and how to prevent them. I would really like to keep my chimney in pristine condition just to be extra safe. I currently have a nylon flail attachment for a drill, a shop vac, and some creosote removing products, (aware of the mixed reviews on such things). I was wondering if this is something I should be worried about, it is by no means an "excessive: creosote buildup, however, seeing the shine makes me a little nervous. Am I rightfully worried about this? And given the tools that I have listed, I should be able to clean the chimney well enough to last me till next season where I will most likely have another professional sweep? Again, I just purchased this home and this is the first home that I have had any sort of wood burning device in, so I am honestly trying to properly gain my bearings on the do's and dont's.

THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.