Open fireplace woes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
So we had our electricity shut off in our vacation cape house, so we went down to spend the night without power, 9 yr thought it would be fun to "rough it".

I hooked up the Prius for light, computer to watch movies and a oil filled heater. Made a fire and shocked to realize how much wood I used in 7 hrs. Its a big, open room, and a big open fireplace. It really didn't help much.

I'm calling your 9 yo out! Lights and movies off the Prius is not "roughing it" ;lol;lol Where's the hurricane lamps and a book by the fire??

Reactions: Fred Wright
I'm calling your 9 yo out! Lights and movies off the Prius is not "roughing it" ;lol;lol Where's the hurricane lamps and a book by the fire??
A book? That's roughing it for me. She would read a book. Oh, yes, and keurig in the morning.

So we had our electricity shut off in our vacation cape house, so we went down to spend the night without power, 9 yr thought it would be fun to "rough it".

I hooked up the Prius for light, computer to watch movies and a oil filled heater. Made a fire and shocked to realize how much wood I used in 7 hrs. Its a big, open room, and a big open fireplace. It really didn't help much.

How big is your room? Yes fireplaces are inefficient and do suck warm air from other parts of the house. I use my fireplace every weekend in my 1950's cape. My living room gets very warm. I crack a nearby window and shut my furnace off. My living room is not very large. I'm using a steel plate fireback and a grate that allows me to stack wood against the back wall. Once a good coal bed forms alot of heat is radiated from my fireplace. It does require alot of wood compared to a stove. I grew up with fireplaces and wood stoves. There is no comparison with a wood stove but I enjoy an open fire. Masonry fireplaces can heat a room if its built properly and the room isn't too large. In the end I use mine mostly for fun but I scrounge my wood and set it up to get as much heat as I can out of it.

Attachments

• 20160130_184040.jpg
    20160130_184040.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Hasufel
How big is your room? Yes fireplaces are inefficient and do suck warm air from other parts of the house. I use my fireplace every weekend in my 1950's cape. My living room gets very warm. I crack a nearby window and shut my furnace off. My living room is not very large. I'm using a steel plate fireback and a grate that allows me to stack wood against the back wall. Once a good coal bed forms alot of heat is radiated from my fireplace. It does require alot of wood compared to a stove. I grew up with fireplaces and wood stoves. There is no comparison with a wood stove but I enjoy an open fire. Masonry fireplaces can heat a room if its built properly and the room isn't too large. In the end I use mine mostly for fun but I scrounge my wood and set it up to get as much heat as I can out of it.
It's big with high ceilings, and there's a loft at the rear. It's the 70's addition to 40's cape.

Around these parts, fireplaces ate known as chimney warmers. ;) ;)
Just saying...

Around these parts, fireplaces ate known as chimney warmers. ;) ;)
Just saying...
Well, I can remember a couple of houses I've lived in with fireplaces, and as long as you are close enough, it can also warm your toes...

But not much more.

Unless you are with someone special.

Status
Not open for further replies.