Open for discussion and imput the Donor program

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

A possible recipient of the donor program live in Norfolk MA. Those who know the area, near the former Airport. His current stove is vintage 70 convection heater, nothing fancy here a beige box. Located in the living room with an open stairway up and open hallway to the dinning room kitchen and out back a family room. The venting system consist of top venting single wall connector pipe to the proper ceiling flange and class A threw the second floor attic and out the roof. One issue that has to be addressed is the last 18” of single wall attaching to the flange has to have more clearance protection. We all know how hard it is to interface into older existing pipes. More info will be needed on that matter. One possible solution would be to install an outer pipe 8” creating a 1” airspace acting as a heat shield.
Realistically, the area is open, but no stove will heat the entire home. So far.. only Vermont Castings has agreed to participate in the donor program. so please address their stoves line. It does no good to suggest PE stoves, at this time as an option. If this program blossoms, I hope other manufactures will participate. It has to get successfully off the ground first. The emphasis has changed not so much stoves for the less fortunate, but stoves that replace old polluting beast of yesteryear, that the families normally cannot budget for.
The home is a two story colonial probably 2000 sq ft. First floor with rear family room 1000 -1200 sq ft. My original thoughts is a stove in the 40,000+ BTU range. Feeling any more would make, the existing living room unbearable to sit in. The brick hearth is setup ideal for right side loading door./ My thoughts is the Dutch west line

Opinions and discussion welcome

Attachments

• woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 388
I wonder if Woodstock would participate? A Fireview stove would look nice sitting there.

I have a disabled neighbor that is in bad need of a stove. He heats his house with a open fireplace, he burns 10+ cords of wood, and cant afford to run the propane furnace. I dont know how these donar programs work, but this is one deserving soul. He helps people in anyway he can, weither its hauling his 92 year old neighbor down the canyon to go to the doctor, or help his neighbors split wood. The bad thing is, people around here write him off as crazy, but they shure dont mind him helping them when they need help. How would this donar program work?

I too have between 5 and 8 families who are all extremely in need of a stove or some other means for heating their home.

I only have two and possibly a third stove to donate right now. It seems there are more people than stoves.........

Craig and I and others were having a disucssion the current codes and cost put wood heating unreachable for famillies that are struggling to make ends meet. Fammilies that really could use some assistance and that had access to a cheap or no cost wood supply. Originally I offered to donate 3 used stoves given to me that I refurbished to donate. The leagal beagles presented valid point of liability risks involved and It would be better to get a manufacturer involved. I did give away the 3 used stoves all to happy receipiants. The only manufacture I had a good enought contact with happened to be VC I contacted them and they were willing
I found a doner and person in need but he did not want the publicity and the rest of the world know he was needy and begged out of the installation After that the program laid iddle
The donar program was to be affiliated with Hearth.com. PossiblyThe Hearth foundation. What makes it work for VC is the positive publicity. If the word reached enought people, I hoped other manufactures would join in. IF the first installation was close to me I I lined up other hearth local member to assist with the install. Naturally a replacement made most installs easier. A couple of new connector pipes and done Doing a full liner or class A chimney requires quite a bit more funds or donations This program has to get off the ground to attract more support or it is just a pipe dream. It also needs publicity. I have contacts here that can interest the local Boston TV news market. Which is the 5 largest in the country.

MSG I see two possibilities one finding a decent used stove removed for an upgrade from one of the uppity part of your society
Last year it was easy many were swapping out wood to pellets and gave them to me. IN CO it may be harder due to EPA regs.

OR as Moderator on the Most visited Hearth site in the world, that has an east coast plan all ready in the works, You get a hold of one of your manufactures and ask why VC is so generous and that why do they not follow suit. Perhaps they would donate a factory second if not. You BS them a bit and tell them it could be them on 20 /20 or Night line or good morning America. Instead of their competition. Not that far fetched if covered in the fith largest market first. Newworks monitor the goings on in local markets

Elk, its early and maybe the coffie hasnt kicked in, how is VC involved if were talking used stoves? What exactly did you propose to VC? Do you have any letters that you have written that you woud be willig to share? My neighbor, like most would not like being on TV.

Copies of my correspondence were posted here last year. They may not have made it to the new forum transition. I will have to check.

I believe tyhe homeowners do not have to get too much involved they could sit back and let the vollenteers and cleaner EPA stove be the story and not focused on them. IF you convince manufactures to get involved they want positive publicity
Nascar has little to Do with US Army but they sponsor a car, why publicity. Exposure Tide has little to do with racing but what exposure.

What I found was the quiet way, with little fanfare, by giving away good used stoves. In MA we did not adopt the EPA regs, so any decent shape UL approved stove can be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.