Open Hearth Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame On

Sep 25, 2008
Southeast PA
My sister just bought a big old Victorian. Her chimney inspector told her not to burn a duralog in the living room fireplace. Instead he said to build a small fire with wood and add to it. I'm thinking this was said to "force" her to warm the chimney up with a small fire. It seems to me she could warm the chimney with a section of newspaper and then light a duralog. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in their ability to get a fire going and she is too far away for me to go over and do it myself. Can anyone explain what the reasoning would be behind NOT using a duralog?

I think you nailed it with the news paper 1st, to "prime the pump" sorta speak. Get a good draft going then settle for the duraflame after that.

Disclaimer, I have no experience with a Duralog, and do not know how it is made I am guessing compressed paper. But If the chimney inspector suggests not to burn it, possibly the chimney is creosote lined and the paper from the duralog could ignite the creosote ?? But then, he would probably recommend not to burn anything ...

Last edited:
Hmm... I've burned open hearths for most of my life, and can't figure a reason for his warning, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

that makes no sense duraflame logs will get up to temp as quick as a small fire and thats if she has good wood and is skilled at starting a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.