Opening the door on the insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I noticed as I'm sure many or you have, that when the door is open there is a massive amount of additional heat. I know when a roaring fire is going leaving the door open would be unsafe. My questions is how about opening the door once the fire is well into the coal stage. I surely wouldn't leave the room with it open, but would this be a good way to get extra heat and to help burn the coals down quicker? Will it hurt anything?

I find that if I open the door a little bit for just a short time, (less than a minute), that's enough to get the coals burning well and I can shut the door again.

I will only leave my door open about 1/8" to add startup air. Too many times I have seen an spark send an ember flying into the room.

Leaving the door wide open without a screen is very dangerous and a waste of heat. Yes, one may feel more radiant heat with the door open. However, the rapid inrush of air is actually cooling down the fire and will translate to less convective heat from the stove and more heated room air being sucked out of the house and sent up the chimney.

Opening the door may let a little more radiant heat directly into the room. But it is radiant heat that would probably be absorbed by the insert anyway. Plus, you are letting a lot more room air go up the flue, and any hot air that the coals are creating is rushing up the flue as well. With the door closed, the flue gases will have a longer residence time in the insert and transfer more heat to the insert. I suspect the overall effect of doors open may be loosing a little more heat than you gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.