Operating a fireplace insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburg

Hearth Supporter
Jul 20, 2009
Central KY
Thanks for all the help from my previous posts. I installed my Rengency I2400 and started my first fire and I have a couple of questions. For my first fire I used a few small splits of sassafras. I started the fire with the air wide open and the insert heated up and then the fan kicked on. At this point I started messing with the air flow just to see what happens. It didn't take long for me to kill the fire. Once cold weather hits I would like to have some sort of idea how to operate the insert. I know I will have to get better wood than sassafras but I was given two seasoned cords and I thought I would use it first. As far as operating the insert, I was thinking of getting a good fire going with a good bed of coals and then shutting the air down to the point where I still have a flame but if I go down any more then it will be coals only. Is this correct or what do you suggest I do. I know it will take time for me to get a feel for it but I would like to have an idea of what I am supposed to do. Thank for any help.

It still sneaks up on me every once in a while - shut the air down too much, too early. What I try and remember: when you want to shut the air down - wait about 10 more minutes - or close it down 1/2 as much as planned. A firebox full of flames looks pretty impressive, but also pretty easy to snuff out if there isn't a good coal bed. Once you get coals established, then you can start cutting back the air even more.

When you get the basics then you will start getting the details - like colder/dryer air outside will give you better draft while warmer/humid will be worse. You will note any effects of wind direction and gauge how much wood and of what type to add for a good overnight burn without waking up freezing or dripping with sweat.

Here's how I have the most success with my freestanding Endeavor. Once I get a decent coal bed going from kindling and small splits, I lay in about 3 to 5 good sized splits. I leave both the bypass damper and the primary air control fully open until those splits are fully engaged. This will usually get me a stove top temp of around 450F. At this point I close my stove's bypass damper (your insert won't have this feature, I imagine). I leave the primary air fully open for a few more minutes, and this gets me to around 500F on the stove top, easily. Then I start backing down the primary air in stages. I never close the lever fully, as this will extinguish my secondary combustion. I back the primary down slowly over a 15-20 minute period. This will leave me with full, active secondary combustion and a "cruising" temp of around 650F on the stove top.

Don't shut down the air all at once. I usually leave mine wide open until I have a good burn going and then shut it down halfway, wait 10-15 minutes, see how it's doing on half, and then shut it all the way down. If it looks like it's going to die, then I open it up to half again, wait until it gets going and then trry shutting it down again. It's really only an issue on start-up as once you get a good coal bed going, you can add wood, wait for it to char, and shut it down pretty quickly. FYI, you can't completely shut the air off on a modern EPA non-cat stove, there's always some air going through the secondaries to create secondary burn, aka the "light show".

Status
Not open for further replies.