Operating life of an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MofoG23

Feeling the Heat
Since we purchased our insert (5-6 years ago), I was wondering what the typical operating life would be. Assume the unit is well maintained and not over-fired. I understand some parts will need replaced over time - fire brick, gaskets, blower, possibly burn tubes...etc.

Could I expect to get 30+ years out of it? Is that realistic?

Thanks!

There are folks that have had some of the older non-EPA stoves for decades. I can imagine that a good stove could last indefinitely, as long as parts are available. Depending on the brand, there are a lot of parts that can be covered by warranty. My Alderlea T-5 has a lifetimes warranty on a lot of its parts. You do not say what stove you have.
My feeling is any stove that doesn't become warped, cracked, or rusted will last as long as you want it, provided you can get parts.

Since we purchased our insert (5-6 years ago), I was wondering what the typical operating life would be. Assume the unit is well maintained and not over-fired. I understand some parts will need replaced over time - fire brick, gaskets, blower, possibly burn tubes...etc.

Could I expect to get 30+ years out of it? Is that realistic?

Thanks!
I bought my quad last year, and dealer said they will last you the next twenty years. At that point I would imagine I would already have gotten the itch for newer, bigger, badder, hotter......

Reactions: firebroad
I bought my quad last year, and dealer said they will last you the next twenty years. At that point I would imagine I would already have gotten the itch for newer, bigger, badder, hotter......

Thanks - I'll probably be in the same boat 15-20 years from now....getting the itch for something new. :)

You do not say what stove you have.

In my sig.... Quadrafire 4100i

[quote="MofoG23, post: 1637298, member: 11281"
In my sig.... Quadrafire 4100i[/quote]

Whoops--missed that! Time for coffee now.:)

Reactions: MofoG23
Put my Buck 26000 into service in 1982. It is still going and doesn't look any different than the day I put it in. The only thing I have had to fix was the fan motor.

Reactions: tcassavaugh
My VC from 1979 is is use right this moment. Other than new gaskets, works just fine.

The chimney might be another matter though. I'm retiring mine next summer.

My VC from 1979 is is use right this moment. Other than new gaskets, works just fine.

The chimney might be another matter though. I'm retiring mine next summer.

That was going to be my next question...

We had an insulated stainless steel liner (flex) installed with the insert....wonder how long they last (again, assuming proper maintenance and operation).

Status
Not open for further replies.