Q&A operating temperature of Small Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

hello, I just purchased a jotul 602 and i love it. I'm using a fireplace damper kit with a 5' flex stainless steel pipe that goes through the damper frame and into the chimney. I cannot mount a thermometer to it because it is non-magnetic so I put the thermometer directly on the cook top. The thermometer has a "safe operating" range from 250F to 600F. I keep it at about 600F. Is this too hot or should I increase the operating temp to induce secondary combustion? I can't mount the thermometer anywhere else.

Answer:

It's fine..the surface temperature on the stove is fine when it's in the 450-750 degree range.

Status
Not open for further replies.