Operating tips for new Englander 30 NC user

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bd234

Feb 6, 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
Just completed the install of a new Englander 30 NC and have no clue how to use it. We are coming from a Woodstock Catalytic Fireview so its a completely different ballgame.

I know the part about open the damper all the way getting coals going, loading it full front to back. But when and how much do you damper down?

Thanks,
Bridgette

Attachments

• IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 482
Someone in another thread suggested a top down burn. Lighting the fire from the top of the wood load.

I have the exact same stove, when i build a fire with good moister (20-15%) i use all small peices at first (1") about 5-10. Leave the door cracked for 10 mins until they are almost coals, load up wood, leave door cracked for maybe a mins or its engulfed in flames. Shut the door and wait a min for flames to slow down. Next, i shut the air of completely and slowly open it until a flame puffs up. Then it's good to go. That's how I've always done it but i recently found out about the top down burn and I'm trying that next time i light it. I'll post results.

It looks like your second picture you should be able to close it so the tip of the spring is flush with the lip on the ash catcher. It's a fine line between shut down and shut off with that damper. I've read that on other posts as well. But i do love the stove now that i learned how to run it.

I have a cat stove and the nc30. Don't everything this, the noncat is much easier. If you want it hotter, give it more air. Want it cooler, give it less air. Full load or partial load, doesn't matter. This particular stove is quite controllable.

Status
Not open for further replies.