Operation Break Wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
I am stacking a cord of hard wood (perhaps hard maple???) in a spot that will break some nasty cross winds that blow huge amounts of snow into my driveway all winter. I'm not going to cover it and suspect to burn this wood in 17-18 season. Anyone ever tried to use their wood piles as a snow fence before?

Attachments

• 20150920_125801.jpg
    20150920_125801.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 300
Not on purpose, but I've noticed snow is always 2 feet higher than the bottom row of splits.

Reactions: Fred Wright
The town used to put a snow fence up across my front lawn years ago to help stop blowing snow from continually filling the street back up. They've stopped with snow fences and I've planted enough trees that the snow just drops in front of the trees ( and partially into my driveway.

If cutting around it in lawn cutting season is no big deal, why not ?!

How many feet is that rack? 24? I have been making that exact same style rack around the perimeter of my back yard and have only gone to 16 feet so far. It does get a little shakey so I'd be slightly concerned that a 24 footer will fall over. Not saying it will but it might. I'm wondering if you can put another set of 2x4's in the middle to give it a little more stability.

Maybe someone who already uses that style in 24 foot lengths can chime in.

It is 24' and will hold a cord of wood. It's a learning process I guess. I had it set up like this in the back with about 2/3 of a cord on it and it didn't fall but was leaning on one side due to the wood shrinking.

Yeah one side of mine starts to lean a little. It's the side that gets sun. I just tap em all back with a sledge.

Crib it in the middle or every 3 feet and you shouldn't have to worry about it falling over. Cribbing every 8 feet is a good way to create some stability in my opinion.

Oh ya, ask me how I know! <>

Holy mother of god that was funny. I was going to make a fart joke, then I scrolled down and now I'm.....speechless............

Shouldn't this be in the "It's a gas!" forum?

Reactions: Jeffm1
Darn! You beat me with the Spinal Tap reference. What a great album.

Reactions: turn_n_burn
How many feet is that rack? 24? I have been making that exact same style rack around the perimeter of my back yard and have only gone to 16 feet so far. It does get a little shakey so I'd be slightly concerned that a 24 footer will fall over. Not saying it will but it might. I'm wondering if you can put another set of 2x4's in the middle to give it a little more stability.

Maybe someone who already uses that style in 24 foot lengths can chime in.

I've got four of the 8' timbers for 32', and my uprights are 5' long (but rest at an angle, of course). My problem was the really soft ground I chose as the location. It's not inherently unstable, but you have to true it up once if not twice after filling with green wood. And there's not much you can do about frost-heave but give it a once over every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.