opinion on dispute with tree service

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
I appreciate the knowledge and honesty of the forum and would like an opinion of what is the right thing to do . . .

On 8/1/06 we had a Linden tree taken down for $500. The contractor damaged part of our porch screen. A couple days
later, a tree stump remover showed up unannounced on our property (I had previously refused this service). On 11/20/06 the contractor showed up once again unannounced on our property to repair the screen. The invoice left showed a charge for the tree & stump removal ($590). I called the contractor on 12/15 and said the bill was wrong and wouldn't pay it until it was
rectified, and stated that I was unhappy with their service.

I just received an updated bill today for $500 plus tax, plus (you guessed it) a late fee.

Thank you, Steve C.

If the screen has been repaired send him a check for five hundred bucks. If not, have the screen repaired and send him a check for five hundred minus the cost of screen repair.

chirag_martinez said:
sgc said:
I appreciate the knowledge and honesty of the forum and would like an opinion of what is the right thing to do . . .

On 8/1/06 we had a Linden tree taken down for $500. The contractor damaged part of our porch screen. A couple days
later, a tree stump remover showed up unannounced on our property (I had previously refused this service). On 11/20/06 the contractor showed up once again unannounced on our property to repair the screen. The invoice left showed a charge for the tree & stump removal ($590). I called the contractor on 12/15 and said the bill was wrong and wouldn't pay it until it was
rectified, and stated that I was unhappy with their service.

I just received an updated bill today for $500 plus tax, plus (you guessed it) a late fee.

Thank you, Steve C.

Steve, I am sorry I hear about this. Was the first service in riting? If it was I would refuse to pay. Best luck Steve but it sound suspicious to me--when I have problem with business I report it to Better Bussines Buraeu-BBB I think it is called.
Still he had a tree taken down for $500 that was the upfront price.. the tree was removed so $500 is due...... However Like BB said they damaged the screen porch so deduct this from the price.
If it comes to court (which $90 isn't worth it) was the company insured and bonded? If so they should pay the cost of the repairs anyway.......

I have to echo BB on this one. I would pay the original $500.00, ignore the late fee and deduct your cost of any repair you had to pay for. If you do deduct for any repair, make sure the cost is documented.

They agreed to fix the screen, which they did (albeit nearly 4 mths later). I'm just really steamed that they showed up three times on my property . . stump remover dude, when they came out to fix the screen, and now today my wife told me someone knocked on the door and said they wanted to know why I hadn't paid yet (I just received the 'corrected' bill today thru usps) . . maybe I'll have to check the bed for a big horse head later tonite. . . . these guy are not a big outfit so thinking this is just one big weirdo situation . .

I agree with BB, I'm dropping a check for $500 even, and putting it behind me, I have never gone down the BetterBusBureau route, I think I saw on a post here somewhere that there is a complaints website, maybe that is worth checking out . . .

I agree with BB pay the 500. Also does the company have ceterfied arborists and are they bonded and insured?

I would send them a check for the $500, with a detailed letter saying WHY you were not happy with the service, and why you feel that this is all that you owe. Let them know that you are willing to end the matter at this point, but will take more agressive action if they make an issue of it. Staple the check to the letter, and make a reference to the letter on the check (put "Payment in accordance with my letter of <date>" or something like that on the memo line.

If they give you further grief, then start doing the BBB complaints, also if they have gov't licenses complaints, to the relevant gov't agency, etc. A copy of the letter, plus the canceled check will definitely show that you attempted to deal with them in good faith.

Gooserider

My dad used to paint houses as a second job. Occasionally he would have a billing dispute with someone. He always told me "take what they give you because even if you win, the court costs kill you. Give him the 500 minus the screen repair, he''ll probably take it.

Why is it that some people don't care about a contractor being licensed or insured until the job dosen't go as planned?
I'm a contractor and always include my certificated with the contract for work to be done but,sometimes lose out to the "Stationwagon Bandit" doing work halftime.
Mike

I would recomend the following:
-send a check for the work completed (after all, you hired them do do it and it's done)
-include a letter referencing specific dates and events and why you believe you should/shouldn't pay for them
-also explain why you don't believe the late charge is in order as this seems to be the only charge in question per the updated bill
-and finally, put the ball in their court by stating that you will be considering the invoice "paid in full" unless they care to discuss the late fee

It sounds as if they completed the job they were hired to do, and more (stump). Unfortunately "chit happens" and they did fix the screen, they took their time doing it, but it's done. So they definately deserve to get paid for a job completed. How much is the late fee? If it's only a fraction of the cost to grind the stump and they are going to demand it, maybe not worth the fight as it's a deal anyway.

Just my .02
Jeff

You make a good point JMF1. The rental cost of a stump grinder in Pittsburgh is $75. And that's not counting what the labor costs would be.

Pay your bill WINEIE

mtarbert said:
Why is it that some people don't care about a contractor being licensed or insured until the job dosen't go as planned?
I'm a contractor and always include my certificated with the contract for work to be done but,sometimes lose out to the "Stationwagon Bandit" doing work halftime.
Mike
Boigo that should be the first ? you should ask. unless you know you are using someone on the side.

Your irritation for the "showing up announced" is understandable but shouldn't get in the way of paying the contractor for services rendered. If it was me, I'd write "full and final payment for all services contracted" on the check for $500. I'd also take the position that the delay in fixing screen offsets the stump removal which you got but didn't ask for. Then I'd move on...

You need to pay the guy now.

Re: some of the feedback, the contractor was insured, I got his insurance dec page b/f hiring. I didn't want the stump removed, but the stump grinding dude came out anyway, didn't call beforehand, drove the machine thru some landscaping, and then I got billed for the service. I'm not whining about paying anything, think I stated that early on . .

Status
Not open for further replies.