Opinion poll: blower insert or wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankieboy

Aug 30, 2012
Hi all,

It sure does sound like you all know your stuff. My grandparents live in a pretty big house (about 4,000 square feet). They have 4 fireplaces throughout the house, all seem to be pretty sturdy, made of brick. They were thinking of buying a wood burning insert for one of their fireplaces which is in the room below the stairs to the bedrooms. They are hoping that if they put the insert the heat will travel upstairs, if they shut some doors downstairs. They are aware that that insert will not heat the whole house.

I heard about these wood burning furnaces. Right now they have oil heat the runs hot water through baseboard heating. Considering the insert will not heat the whole house I was thinking if they get this furnace they will be able to heat the whole house.

Any thoughts on what you all would do if you were in this situation?

Thanks,
Frank

Welcome to Hearth!! Wood boiler, haha you are in The Boiler room. Their all set up with hydronic heat already, and that will get the heat throughout the house. Sit back and do some reading. Although a boiler install would be considerably more expensive than either of those options.

Enjoy!!!

TS

Welcome to Hearth!! Wood boiler, haha you are in The Boiler room. Their all set up with hydronic heat already, and that will get the heat throughout the house. Sit back and do some reading. Although a boiler install would be considerably more expensive than either of those options.

Enjoy!!!

TS
You should consider your grandparents age. Any type of boiler whether installed outside or in the basement will require firebox tending. Are they up to that sort of challenge ? Whereas tending a stove-fireplace insert can be much easier and enjoyable especially if they are a bit older. My parents for example are nearing 80 - and although I considered installing a basement unit of sorts - their health would just not be conducive to daily up/down cellar stairs. I went with a stove-fireplace insert and they love it. It drastically cutdown on their oil consumption last heating season - although it was a milder than normal winter.
Even if your grandparents are vibrant young and healthy - a boiler tends to be chore versus something everyone can enjoy in a common room with a nice fireview window.

Thanks guys,

Their age is a consideration. I think a place around us gives free estimates, I may just have them come out an see if the furnace is even an option. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Older folks tend to like it warm. So that 90 next to the insert would be good if it was in the room they hang out it. Small spits for older folks to handle.. and they sure could cut down on their oil bill.

A few cheap fans would move the heat around. Insert is probably the cheapest way to go. Let us know how it turns out. Lot of experienced folks on here to bounce ideas and your quote off.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.