Opinion-- Vogelzang Frontiersman vs. Dutchwest 2460

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klain

Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
Looking for opinion. Only having 400 to spend. would you purchase a NEW Vogelzang Frontiersman, steel stove or a USED Dutchwest 2460 cast iron small catalytic stove.

Personally I'd pass on the Vogel. If $400 is your budget keep a close eye on the want ads and craigslist for a good deal. They're out there. Heck, I found my 30NC with blower on craigslist for $500.

I agree with cS, pass on the Vogel and watch Craigslist. I found my Avalon Olympic for $200, I was just about to drop $2300 for a new one!

Haven't heard anything good about the Vogelzang...heard they are made in China (and not well). If the other stove may be too small for your heating needs, wait. The deals are in the spring or watch craigs list.

I too vote to wait and find what you want.. I found my buck 21 for 375$ on craigslist.. I was looking at ~1300 for it new, even has gold accents which I was not going to spring for.. Heck, I found a heritage soapstone stove in new condition for 800, just couldn't spend that much right then..

Jason

I'd consider waiting, this is peak season (aka most expensive time to buy). You are about 60 days away from the big box store sales where they start clearing out winter inventory. At that point there is a possibility of picking up a new Century or Englander stove from in your budget range. In the meantime keep watching the ads and be choosy if the stove is used.

If you're interested in buying a Vogelzang stove, they now have four models that are EPA certified. The Frontiersman is not among them, it's an EPA exempt stove, so it's not an efficient burner. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.