Opinions...again! Harman P38 or Enviro EF2I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdawg

Nov 3, 2011
Central, MA
In your opinion, which is the better stove and why? When I say "better", I'm thinking quality of construction, ease of use and heat output and any other thing you can think of that I didn't! Thanks!!!

No real comment on the stoves. Other than if it were me, I would go with the Harman. Just for the bottom feed system. Longer between cleanings.

If it were a bugdet thing. Then shoot for the Englander 10-CPM (self cleaning pot and multi-fuel) or the 25-EP (pellet only). Dont know if you considered them. The AMFM Energy refurb units are competitively priced and come with a full factory warranty.

P.S... Didnt Smokey award you with your "Oinks" ? Pretty sure you made pig status. Might wanna go back and look.

I'd give an edge to the P38. Definetly a bit less picky with fuel. Both units have been around for a long time and don't hear all that much as far as complaints go. Don't expect much from either in the frills dept. Just the basics. Both do a nice job at throwing heat at you.

Let the dollar do some of the debating, How much they asking for them?

Dexter, I was bestowed Pellet Piggy Club honors by the higher beings. I'll need to update my sig with that info. I can't do so until I pick up another ton of Barefoots which hasn't happened yet until I secure the second stove! Which is why I'm posting all these questions. Can't seem to decide. Too many to choose from and tight budget is not helping!

hotdawg said:
In your opinion, which is the better stove and why? When I say "better", I'm thinking quality of construction, ease of use and heat output and any other thing you can think of that I didn't! Thanks!!!

I'm fairly certain you know what I'm gonna say.......

Harman Lover 007 said:
hotdawg said:

What? Harman Lover are you saying I should get an Enviro? LOL. I guess I okay with either brand. Just wondering about the stoves and the top vs. bottom feed system of each. Is one better then the other or just a matter of preference?

j-takeman said:
I'd give an edge to the P38. Definetly a bit less picky with fuel. Both units have been around for a long time and don't hear all that much as far as complaints go. Don't expect much from either in the frills dept. Just the basics. Both do a nice job at throwing heat at you.

Let the dollar do some of the debating, How much they asking for them?

I'm not looking for frills. Just want something that throws a lot of good heat. It's going up in the family/TV room where the kids play with tons of toys everywhere so I don't want/need anything pretty. Most important thing is it needs to be a reliable stove and easy to operate. The more frills, the more things to break.

I'm talking to a guy who's closing his store and has some of these models left over. New stove (manufacturer's warranty with install/delivery $2200. I think that's a pretty good deal, no? And I just got back from looking at the Harman Accentra. I'll have to pass. Not sure if I should judge a stove by the surroundings/house it's in but I definitely did. Messy messy house, junk everywhere, very little surface to walk on without crunching on something on the rug and tons of animals. There was quite a bit of dust on the stove and cobwebs all in the back and on the venting and this is from inside the house. I'm guessing the stove probably doesn't see regular cleanings very often. Didn't even look bother looking inside the stove. Yes, yes, I did judge the book by its cover but it was a little too obvious to look away. I'll keep checking Craigslist but hopefully that guy I'm talking to comes through. Thanks all for your advise. My saga continues...

hotdawg said:
Just wondering about the stoves and the top vs. bottom feed system of each. Is one better then the other or just a matter of preference?

The Harman units are a LOT more forgiving when it comes down to fuel quality.
they will self-adjust based on what the ESP reads from the exhaust gases.
The Enviro requires maual "tweaking" to get the air-to-fuel (ATF) ratio correct'
& may require adjustments every time you change your pellet brand...
The Harman uses incoming pellets to PUSH the ashes out of the burn pot. The
Enviro - or any drop feeder for that matter - uses the combustion blower to
evacuate the ashes from the burn pot. That works fine til you get a clinker that's
too big to be blown out, then you'll start getting less heat as less pellets can get
into the pot, until you MANUALLY remove that clinker. The Harman will require a
thorough cleaning after about 20 bags, or about 3 weeks of constant burning...
The Enviro will probably require a weekly cleaning...

You can probably tell which way I'm leaning as well...

DAKSY said:
hotdawg said:
Just wondering about the stoves and the top vs. bottom feed system of each. Is one better then the other or just a matter of preference?

The Harman units are a LOT more forgiving when it comes down to fuel quality.

they will self-adjust based on what the ESP reads from the exhaust gases.
The Enviro requires maual "tweaking" to get the air-to-fuel (ATF) ratio correct'
& may require adjustments every time you change your pellet brand...
The Harman uses incoming pellets to PUSH the ashes out of the burn pot. The
Enviro - or any drop feeder for that matter - uses the combustion blower to
evacuate the ashes from the burn pot. That works fine til you get a clinker that's
too big to be blown out, then you'll start getting less heat as less pellets can get
into the pot, until you MANUALLY remove that clinker. The Harman will require a
thorough cleaning after about 20 bags, or about 3 weeks of constant burning...
The Enviro will probably require a weekly cleaning...

You can probably tell which way I'm leaning as well...

Wow. Thanks for that explanation. That makes perfect sense. I have a top feeder and I do have issues with clinkers blocking the holes and then less heat. I just might have to try a bottom feeder this time. I only plan to burn Barefoots once I work through my buffet of pellets. That's the best pellets I find for my Jamestown with the least amount of "tweaking".

hotdawg said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
hotdawg said:

What? Harman Lover are you saying I should get an Enviro? LOL. I guess I okay with either brand. Just wondering about the stoves and the top vs. bottom feed system of each. Is one better then the other or just a matter of preference?

The bottom feed burnpot is second to none in design and functionality.

p38 is a work horse. Easy to maintain. If you have a big enough space to heat where it will run most of the time that is better. It is not the easiest stove to lite compared to my st croix which is pellets a squirt of gel and match. turn on stove a leave for work. P38 I have to let burn w/ door open for 5 minutes or else to fire goes out due to to much air flow. P38 can run for weeks w/ little maintance.

rickwai said:
It is not the easiest stove to lite compared to my st croix which is pellets a squirt of gel and match. turn on stove a leave for work. P38 I have to let burn w/ door open for 5 minutes or else to fire goes out due to to much air flow.

As has been discussed here before P38 take less than 30 seconds to light if done correctly. No gel is necessary, it is a piece of cake to light.

Tom C.

I believe Harman is the only bottom feeder on the market today, maybe still some Englander, old technology.
Any stove that runs continuous has to eat pellets, even on low, 24 hrs is a long time.

slls said:
I believe Harman is the only bottom feeder on the market today, maybe still some Englander, old technology.
Any stove that runs continuous has to eat pellets, even on low, 24 hrs is a long time.

Drolet are bottom feeders. Technically the Dell Points are too.

Status
Not open for further replies.