Opinions and feedback needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmh5996

Jan 11, 2010
pa
Planning on replacing my Englander 25PVDC that I used for 2 years for a Harman P38. Any feedback and/or opinions appreciated. I use this as my main heat source for my rancher in SE Pennsylvania and use 3 tons per year. Main reason for replacing is just an upgrade, nearby service center, and less frequent basic cleaning.

IMO I would upgrade to the P43 with auto ignite. If your going through the expense of upgrading, Might as well go for the works.

The auto ignitors are a nice convenience if you want the stove to be basically on its own.

I have had a Quad 1000 with auto lite now since 1994 and it works quite well.

Had to replace a few ignitors over the course of the years but all in all its been good.

If you are going to upgrade then you may as well make it one that will be worth the time and expense.

Snowy

How well did the Englander 25PVDC heat the house?

If it just barely made the grade during the extreme cold, You might want a wee bit bigger than the P43. Having a little larger than needed is always better than not enough when it really counts!

Personally I would steer any new stove buyer to a multifuel stove. With the the quality issue's of some pellets brands lately(lack of good fiber) and or your tendency's to purchase cheaper brands. A multifuel stove will easily handle the worst of pellets. And for the cleaning factor, They just plain can't be beat. Having a mixer,stirrer or agitator in the burn pot does the daily scraping for you. My multifueler goes easily a week straight without even opening the door. Yes I clean mine once a week, But that's more for efficiency than anything else. It will go far longer than a week on the cleanings.

Harman has the PC45, But requires a pellet burnpot and the corn/multifuel burnpot. Other stoves use the same pot for both fuels. We are seeing more and more brands adding multifuelers to there lineups. Its just a bit more flexible and less pellet picky than a pellet only stove.

Something to think about anyway(my 2 cents worth!).

38 / 43 is a very tried and true unit, you can't go wrong. We have had many big box stove customers that make the switch to these "price point" harman units, and they can't believe the difference in the burn, cleaning intervals, and heat output advantage the harmans have over the big box competition. You will be pleasantly suprised (especially when you don't have to clean it out 2-3 times a wk!)

You will be very happy with the P43. I have both, a 43 and a 25pdvc and someday I'll have 2 P43's, there is no comparison between the 2.

Thanks for the stove Summit !

I have two Harman stoves and absolutely love them with regards to cleaning (and everything else). Very user friendly and did I mention easy to clean? A good consideration of any upgrade. I concur with multi-fuel, though you may need to upgrade the flue as well depending upon your set up.

You should look at the proven Harman PC45 which comes with auto ignition, room temp mode or stove temp mode.
It will burn corn or pellets and if you burn pellets there is a inexpensive kit available that allows it to produce 50,000 BTU.
I am in the process of closing out a dealership and have 4 brand new Harman PC45s in box at a very low price of 1850 cash and carry sale. This stove also is included in the 30% tax rebate program which brings the cost down to a little over 1200.00 plus tax.
The room temp mode allows you to set the temp you want and walk away as it will start and stop on its own.
This model stove has been around for a while and you are not buying a experiemental model with lots of potential problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.