Opinions/ expertise, please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne2072

Sep 16, 2008
Hello;
I just found this site yesterday and have been reading away catching up on all sorts of great info. This site is awesome! If anyone is so inclined, I'd love to get your opinions and suggestions on a project I'm thinking of.

I was kicking around the idea of making a portion of my log cabin's (New Hampshire) porch into a three season or four season porch by installing sliders, french doors or large windows to enclose it. The space is about 20-22 feet by six feet.
Then I started thinking about the possibility of adding some type of heat, which got me thinking wood stove. We used to have a VC Resolute in the old place, which I loved, but we went with VC gas Radiance when we re-built, due to breathing issues when the kids were babies and ease of use when we get there late at night on the weekends. We'll probably be living there full time in the next few years. I really miss the wood and I also like having several different options for heating/ cooking in case of any weird world events, etc.

The stoves that I have been checking on were the small Jotuls, the VC Aspen, although I love the lines of the Intrepid II and would lean to that if I can.... I have also seen links to the Marine Stoves through this site and googling it. I think the possibility of putting any type of stove in this spot would include building kind of a "bump-out" to accomodate the stove in order to not take up any of the floor space here. Ok....my questions are:

Do you think this is at all possible or am I crazy for even contemplating it? lol

If I left the slider to the main cabin open, would the stove on the porch provide any heat to the rest of the cabin?

Is this space simply too tight area wise?

If I made a bump-out I'd plan a nice surround, etc to make it look sweet, but would windows still be ok above a certain height (like to the sides of the stove, not behind it). A potenial bump out would be about 12 foot wide and 4 feet deep.

I wouldn't be having killer fires in it, more to warm the space and for ambiance...would there be negatives to having smaller fires rather than longer/ hotter burns?

Now that I've talked myself into a wood stove anyway, if the porch thing wouldn't work out, would it be a total waste and/or impossible to install a woodstove in the loft of the place? It (the loft) is 20X18. Would the heat be able to be directed (blown) downstairs in order to be used as a main source of heat? I guess if I ever was inclined to (and had the $$) I could swap out a woodstove downstairs and move the gas upstairs?

If you've made it this far, I appreciate it, and would look forward to any hints, help or insight you could give me. Thanks again for such a great and informative site!
Anne

None of this is silly in the least. You can get a small woodstove to heat that porch, and just open the slider and let heat into the house if it gets too hot. A fan blowing the cooler house air to the porch will force warm air back into the house.

Put the woodstove where you'll spend time. Putting it in a loft will give you a lot of heat in the loft, and you'll be fighting gravity to get the heat down.

Adios forgot to add, after you do all that you MUST invite all us NH guys to your cabin for hunting, fishing and to enjoy that stove!

>>>>>Adios forgot to add, after you do all that you MUST invite all us NH guys to your cabin for hunting, fishing and to enjoy that stove![/quote]

Oh........did I forget to mention that I was planning on inviting you all to the installation party?? lol
;-)

I make killer chicken wings and I never met a bottle of Wild Turkey that I didn't like..........heh heh

Anne2072 said:
>>>>>Adios forgot to add, after you do all that you MUST invite all us NH guys to your cabin for hunting, fishing and to enjoy that stove!

Oh........did I forget to mention that I was planning on inviting you all to the installation party?? lol
;-)

I make killer chicken wings and I never met a bottle of Wild Turkey that I didn't like..........heh heh[/quote]

Sounds like a plan heehee

Anne2072 said:
Oh........did I forget to mention that I was planning on inviting you all to the installation party??

Sounds like some heavy lifting's in store for the folks who get sucked into that one. :grrr: Rick

fossil said:
Anne2072 said:
Oh........did I forget to mention that I was planning on inviting you all to the installation party??

Sounds like some heavy lifting's in store for the folks who get sucked into that one. :grrr: Rick

oh, no....I'll have Dixie Cups on hand for those who can't lift their mugs of Wild Turkey................... :)

We have a three season room that we turned into a four season room by adding a VC Aspen. The room is about 18' x 12' with a vaulted ceiling, sliders all around and french doors back to the family room. It takes a while to warm up the room on a cold day, since it's all windows and sits on a slab, but we use that room more in the winter now than we do the rest of the year. If it gets too warm in there, after one of us wakes up from a stove-induced cat nap, we just open up the door and let some of the heat into the family room.

You have to look at the chimney situation also. If the porch is next to a part of the house with a steep roof, your chimney may have to go up really high. That may not be the "look" you want for the front of the house.

I agree with Adios that heat is hard to move down...and wood is hard to move UP.

It sounds like you are pretty set on a woodstove, but if you are going to build a bump out, you may want to consider a zero clearance firplace as well. It would allow you to build a much smaller bump out, since you don't have the clearances to worry about. Good luck, and stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.