Opinions needed, XXV, M55, Mt Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Juddct

Feb 7, 2021
New England
Hello all,

After searching, reading reviews, and watching classifieds closely, I am looking for some feedback on these three stoves.

I like the aesthetics of all three and am looking to upgrade from my Summersheat stove.

All are close to the same range BTU wise. But looking for feedback on longevity, ease of use, and real heat output.

Thanks again for helping out a newbie!

Love my 2014 XXV. It will chew through any pellets and is super reliable. Parts are readily available, maintenance is fairly simple and it puts out great heat. Yes, they are pricey but, you get what you pay for. Actually, I was lucky...picked up a 4 year old stove for $1200. 7 tons later, it's running like a champ.

Reactions: Juddct
Stay away from the Mt Vernon AE. It has a ton of sensors to deal with. Especially with it being a used stove. You can almost replace all the controls and motors in a Harman for just the cost of a circuit board on the AE. The AE is a beautiful whisper quiet stove when it is working but can be a nightmare when it breaks.

Reactions: Juddct
Well,my humble opinions. the AE is good looking. Hard to diagnose and repair. The M55 is well proven,a great heater. The Harman speaks for itself, and arguably the easiest to clean,maintain and repair.
The big question should be,are you able to maintain and repair a unit? If not,how about your closest dealer? Or closest stove/chimney repair/cleaning guy?

Reactions: Juddct and johneh
I like the Enviro M55
Reliable
easy to clean
easy to diagnose and repair
The only thing is Manifactor parts are a bit on the expensive side for Canadians
with the exchange not too bad in USD

Thanks for the info so far, all. I am comfortable cleaning, maintenance and repair. Sounds like the hunt for an E55 or XXV stands.

Thanks all,
Judd