Opinions of Hearthstone Phoenix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
new to us , . so here's what i see so far. complete burn . its quiet. it replaced a stove with fan. seems to heat up just as fast as the small buck does. creates a nice convection pattern which actually moves the heat into the upstairs stairwell. it has a slow draw when we start it. i use fine kindling and a couple splits but have to leave the door cracked open for about 4 or 5 minutes so that it catches and stays lit . then i latch the door shut . once warmed up it draws good. haven't fired it up real good, 300 on the top stone in the center at most. I'm hoping that when the temps drop below 20 f and the wind blows that it is capable of maintaining a 70 f temp on the main floor. I'm still getting to know this unit so I'm not able to do a full review yet. Pete

Just sold another Pheonix yesterday. If I get any feedback from the customer, I'll try to remember to post it here

I sell about one a year, & have gotten no negative feedback
from any of the customers.
Some have come back for gaskets & other peripherals &
they have given me every indication that the Phoenix is
a workhorse & heats well...

The front casting looks really nice and the btu output is similar to the heritage at 60,000 so it is a medium heater. The negatives are the funky rear flue outlet that is also a top outlet and also that wool blanket that lies on top of the baffle, I hate those blankets.

I think that the phoenix is one stove that really needs to be purchased in enamel to make that cast iron front look extra good.

Went I was shopping a couple years back it was a tossup between the phoenix and the oslo.

The oslo won out :)

I think it may have been the ash pan that did it, but I can't recall.

ansehnlich1 said:
Went I was shopping a couple years back it was a tossup between the phoenix and the oslo.

The oslo won out :)

I think it may have been the ash pan that did it, but I can't recall.

These two were among my top "finalists" too . . . I really liked the look of the Phoenix, but what won me over was the local dealer who sold both telling me that it was his opinion that the baffles were more fragile in the Hearthstone line-up vs. the Jotuls.

I already have one and installed it this season, I just posted this to see what others who may have one think about it. I do have the Majolic Brown enamel finish. So far I like the stove, but once it gets down in the negatives, lowest here will be about -40 F.

Got my first stove, an older Phoenix, istalled this fall. It's great. Learning a lot about it's 'personality'. One negative that I can see so far is that it takes a while to build it up to a good hot cruising temp (e.g. 450). Needs a really crankin' bed of embers. May be the case with other stoves, too, but mine takes time to really maintain that cruise-control 'buring the creosote' burn temp.

I've had my phoenix for 7 yr now, and love it. Yep, first fire of the season, and anytime you let it get pretty cold, you need to do a snow warm up. Don't like the ash pan, but I just never mess with it--I remove ash into a covered metal ash-bucket.

Had daughter's boyfriend bust the handle, and had problems with it until I was sent a newly designed one--it's been super ever since.

I'd buy it all over again--I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a stove to buy--and think it was the best investment my late hubby & I ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.