Opinions on Buck Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I have a friend who is going to buy an insert. She likes the Buck 74zc non cat insert. I suggested that she consider the 80zc cat insert. Other than that they appear to be identical.

Her house is a poorly insulated 1000 single level with a fairly open floor plan.

I think a 2.6 cubic foot fire box would be plenty for the house and that the cat stove would probably work better because it could be burned at a lower rate.

What are your opinions on these stoves.

I have no firsthand experience, but everything I hear is good. I agree with you on the cat, given a big firebox for that house.

One difference: the 80 takes 8" pipe, the 74 takes 6" - what is the flue setup?

Or maybe go with the smaller cat, the 20?

I don't think I've heard a bad word about a Buck. They offer good value in their stoves.

the 20 is small, nice , you just gotta have your wood cut down to 15''. the 74 holds a 20'' piece. its nice to have a bigger stove as well so i would say the 74 would be my pick. its my favorite in their line up . you cant go wrong with their stoves our little 20 still chugs away year after year. pete

There are a couple of us not really satisfied with the Buck 74. Mine is an insert and my house is about 1800 ft. The room where the insert is can get up to 70 degrees in cold weather (below 25-30 degrees). Also, listen to the volume of the fan of different inserts. The Buck is on the louder side. On the other side, there are many happy owners of the Buck 74.
My wood well seasoned with the moisture always below 18%. Usually in the low teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.