Opinions on Huskee Splitters at Tractor Supply Co.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am one of those singing the praises of the North Star with the Honda engine. Until now, I did not know that there was a difference between Honda engines. My North Star has the red engine and I honestly can't believe how well it starts and runs. That splitter can sit in storage for weeks and start in one or two pulls.

I also like the way the wedge mounts to the rail on the North Star better than on the Huskee. The wedge on the Huskee rides in a channel which sits on top of both sides of the rail. The wedge on the North star wraps around the top of the rail. I thought that the channel on the Huskee would be a place for debris to collect and possibly interfere with the operation. I also liked the log cradle on the North Star.

I should mention that I am in no way affiliated with Northern Tool, Honda or North Star. I am also not an expert and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Well I looked at those two and went with the swisher 22ton model. Starts great, splits great, good craftmanship, and I feel go with the one that you like.

Bondo©

Yeah, I would if $$ werent the issue! I would go with the Timberwolf..!:)

I have a 22 ton Speed CO which is the same as the husky 22 ton. Mine does great. You can go with the larger 10.5 hp motor but it just uses more gas and blows the exhaust on the operator. I think I got mine at Fleet/Farm for 930.00 including hydrotrans fluid and tax. 16-20 cords thru it so far and not a hiccup. I usually run it about 3/4 throttle and it powers thru everything...even elm.

burntime said:
I have a 22 ton Speed CO which is the same as the husky 22 ton. Mine does great. You can go with the larger 10.5 hp motor but it just uses more gas and blows the exhaust on the operator. I think I got mine at Fleet/Farm for 930.00 including hydrotrans fluid and tax. 16-20 cords thru it so far and not a hiccup. I usually run it about 3/4 throttle and it powers thru everything...even elm.

Some usefull information . When running a small engine its recommended to run at full throttle when the product is in use. Small engines are not like your car and truck engines and the engines dont oil the same PSI the the throttle range. So if your running at 3/4 throttle then your not getting 100% lubrication nor are your getting 100% cooling.
Your splitter does not have a transmission to take up the difference of the RPM of your engine , if your equipment is set up with sat an 8 HP engine then your over working the motor at part throttle.

I always thought that that was just true of cooling at 3/4 throttle??? Thanks for the input. The good news is that I use mobile 1 synthetic so at least this thing starts when its 10 degreees. I like to think that the synthetic may extend life too. I guess I will throttle it up from now on. Thanks!!!

Roo,
My splitter has an automatic throttle that opens up as the ram is extended and throttles back when the ram is pulled back. I assumed that this was done to provide more power as the ram split through the wood and run more efficiently when it did not need the extra oomph.

Would it be a better idea to bypass the auto throttle and run it wide open all the time?

burntime said:
I always thought that that was just true of cooling at 3/4 throttle??? Thanks for the input. The good news is that I use mobile 1 synthetic so at least this thing starts when its 10 degreees. I like to think that the synthetic may extend life too. I guess I will throttle it up from now on. Thanks!!!

I use mobile 1 synthetic too . A lot of people have trouble with engines when its cold and normally synthetic oil it going to do the trick. If i have to run the small engines in the summer i will change out to 30w oil. I use synthetic in my garden tractor and 4 Husqvarna chainsaws year around.

MrGriz said:
Roo,
My splitter has an automatic throttle that opens up as the ram is extended and throttles back when the ram is pulled back. I assumed that this was done to provide more power as the ram split through the wood and run more efficiently when it did not need the extra oomph.

Would it be a better idea to bypass the auto throttle and run it wide open all the time?

I would run it full throttle at what ever you can set it to and let the auto throttle do its job.

Do you have a regular throttle and also the auto auto throttle ? Sounds like the auto throttle is the governor on the carb.

There is a manual throttle and the auto. I'm going to have to head out to the garage and take a closer look...stay tuned.

[quote author="Roospike" date="1170818694]
I would run it full throttle at what ever you can set it to and let the auto throttle do its job.

Do you have a regular throttle and also the auto auto throttle ? Sounds like the auto throttle is the governor on the carb.[/quote]

Ok, I went and took a quick look. The 'auto' throttle is a cable that runs between the throttle on the engine and the plate the wedge is mounted to. As the ram extends and the wedge travels out, the cable opens the throttle. As the ram closes and the wedge is drawn back, the cable shuts down the throttle.

Do you think I'm better off running as is, or should I disconnect the cable and run wide open. The splitter never boggs down and has been able to handle anything I've thrown at it.

MrGriz said:
[quote author="Roospike" date="1170818694]

Do you have a regular throttle and also the auto auto throttle ? Sounds like the auto throttle is the governor on the carb.

Ok, I went and took a quick look. The 'auto' throttle is a cable that runs between the throttle on the engine and the plate the wedge is mounted to. As the ram extends and the wedge travels out, the cable opens the throttle. As the ram closes and the wedge is drawn back, the cable shuts down the throttle.

Do you think I'm better off running as is, or should I disconnect the cable and run wide open. The splitter never boggs down and has been able to handle anything I've thrown at it.[/quote]

Interesting , don't think i have seen a splitter run this way. I would guess as long as the engine is run at 100% when worked / used under load it would be OK.

I wonder if it returns back to a low idle or at a set medium speed when not under load.

I think it runs at about 1/3 throttle when it's at idle. It doesn't quite run all the way down.

Like I said, I haven't had a problem with it. One drawback to this setup is that the ram moves slower at first. If the ram is all the way open and I have a short split in, it seems to take forever to for the wedge to get to the wood. Of course I'm so impatient, I'd like to have minute rice cooked in 30 sec. :cheese:

It would be fine if not better if you wanted to change to to run at full throttle. The only time i turn my throttle down on my small engines is when im going to turn off the motor , i turn it down , wait a sec and then turn it off.

Does you ram stop where you let go or does it have auto return or both ?

Mine has both so i can stop the ram at 20" and put in a new log then i dont have to run the full stroke every time.

velvetfoot said:
Wow, the prices on the HF units went up. I paid 999 for this one, plus 60 bucks shipping as i recall, this past fall:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91840

Tax return time of year. I see a lot of tools go up January 1st and then months later go back down and or sale prices kick in to show a big % OFF but it ends up being the same price it was before the price hike.

Roospike said:
It would be fine if not better if you wanted to change to to run at full throttle. The only time i turn my throttle down on my small engines is when im going to turn off the motor , i turn it down , wait a sec and then turn it off.

Does you ram stop where you let go or does it have auto return or both ?

Mine has both so i can stop the ram at 20" and put in a new log then i dont have to run the full stroke every time.

The ram has an auto return, which I can stop without retracting all the way. I usually push the lever back into the auto return position and go to grab another round. By the time I have a new round in the splitter and ready to go, the ram is usually all the way back. If I have a bunch of short pieces I will usually hold the lever and just return part of the way.

autoreturn is a must particularly when you are going it alone..My buddy is in the process of purchaseing a commercial Timberwolf so basically anything that I buy will be a dog compared to running that!

Status
Not open for further replies.