Opinions on Husky 455 rancher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
I currently have a husky 142 that is a great, tough little saw. I use my in laws stihl ms 260 for the bigger stuff, but feel like i have been pushing my luck with it. if it breaks, i am responsible. I would rather be responsible for my own stuff. So, my situation kind of sucks at the same time. I would like to get a stihl or dolmar, but cash is tight. I have a lowes credit card. They have the 455 rancher for $399 right now. It is what it is right now, and im afraid im going to burn out my 142 prematurely. I want to make sure i have enough saw to handle the bigger stuff when I do come across it, like last season when we diced up a 22" maple with my 14" bar!

We cut alot of sugar maple, cherry, some hickory. we generally dont cut anything bigger than 16-18 inches. alot of stuff in the 12 inch range.

1)what do you think of that price?
2)what do you think of the saw overall?

If I couldn't afford to pay cash for it, I'd just keep using the 142. It should be able to cut up a 22" maple if you take your time. However someone has to spend money in this economy, and it might as well be you.

In that size/price range I like the 353 better, but it isn't sold at Lowes.

http://store.wisesales.com/husqvarna-35335318.html

The 353 is ~2lbs lighter. It also has a magnesium crank case and quick release airfilter/spark plug access. In this size, the 455 is a consumer saw, the 353 is a prosumer saw, and the 346 is the pro saw. The price difference between the 455 and 353 isn't nearly as big as the 353 to 346 jump.

be tough to break that 260. Theres alot of people using that rancher and happy with it!

I was recently in a similar situation as you Andy. I used my FIL's saws, which are pro model saws, and if I break one, I end up shelling out the cash for a new one. My budget wasn't very big, so I was looking at the Rancher 455 and the Stihl MS290. I ended up going with the Stihl from a local dealership and ended up paying ~$350. I personally like it better than the 455, but that's just my opinion.

ikessky said:
I was recently in a similar situation as you Andy. I used my FIL's saws, which are pro model saws, and if I break one, I end up shelling out the cash for a new one. My budget wasn't very big, so I was looking at the Rancher 455 and the Stihl MS290. I ended up going with the Stihl from a local dealership and ended up paying ~$350. I personally like it better than the 455, but that's just my opinion.

I'd like to be able to go with the stihl, but like i mentioned cash is tight and i can put the husky on the lowes cc.

smokinj said:
be tough to break that 260. Theres alot of people using that rancher and happy with it!

It may be tough, but its not really a chance I want to take. You dont know my father in law... i'll never hear the end of it even if i broke it and fixed it in the same day. from that point on I would "owe him something".

KarlP said:
If I couldn't afford to pay cash for it, I'd just keep using the 142. It should be able to cut up a 22" maple if you take your time. However someone has to spend money in this economy, and it might as well be you.

In that size/price range I like the 353 better, but it isn't sold at Lowes.

http://store.wisesales.com/husqvarna-35335318.html

The 353 is ~2lbs lighter. It also has a magnesium crank case and quick release airfilter/spark plug access. In this size, the 455 is a consumer saw, the 353 is a prosumer saw, and the 346 is the pro saw. The price difference between the 455 and 353 isn't nearly as big as the 353 to 346 jump.

I thought about just keep using the 142 but in all reality to be productive i need at least 2. I won't do out cutting by myself, and am not going to have my brother in law come along just to stand and watch me. we get way more done with 2 saws. but even if its him using his dads stihl, it would still be my responsibility to fix it if it broke, seeing as how its for my wood. also I am worried about over-working the 142...

1 - I would not purchase the Husq from HD or Lowes.

2 - I had read about the 455 and was looking at potentially buying it. When I went to my local shop, they pushed me toward the 353. They really are comparable saws and for a bunch less, I walked out with the 353 in the low $300 range. I have the 18" bar on mine and this thing rips through big oak - it is every bit of saw I need and then some - so this saw with a 16" bar would be even more badass if that is all you need. In hindsite, I probable would have gone with the 20" bar and grabbed a 16" bar later on.

I'm a stihl guy, but do like the husky. I use other gas saws for concrete work and demo and stihl has never let me down . I have a 20" farm boss 6 years old . a polan 25 years old and a older stihl with 20" bar . I'm getting a commercial 14/ 16" saw soon for liming trees . I like the rancher my friend has one . I never worry about saving a buck when it comes to tools . The good feeling you get from the savings is gone soon after the purchase. John

CowboyAndy said:
Why do you recommend against buying from lowes?

You might want to go to Husqvarna's website and find the nearest *chainsaw* dealer that will service your Husky if it ever needs it. Lowes certainly wont. Be aware that Husky's website doesn't seem to distinquish it's farm/lawn products vrs chainsaws so some dealers may appear in their dealer search but they might not carry or work on the chainsaws.

Jay

Jay H said:
CowboyAndy said:
Why do you recommend against buying from lowes?

You might want to go to Husqvarna's website and find the nearest *chainsaw* dealer that will service your Husky if it ever needs it. Lowes certainly wont. Be aware that Husky's website doesn't seem to distinquish it's farm/lawn products vrs chainsaws so some dealers may appear in their dealer search but they might not carry or work on the chainsaws.

Jay

There is a husky dealer right around the corner from me. I would buy from them, only problem is I dont have the cash. I was planning on putting the saw on my lowes cc. would an independant dealer still work on it? what about warrenty work?

I would never buy a saw from a big box store. when I bought my 357xp I spoke to a guy who runs saws for a living and he sold me the saw. He tooled it up for me right there on the spot, shwoed me how to tune it, sharpen and tighten the chain, mixing oil, cleaning schedules etc. You dont get that at big box stores. and he wont forget me when I walk in with a problem with it. for hte $50 you will save at a big box store it is well worth getting advice and know how at a real saw shop.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I would never buy a saw from a big box store. when I bought my 357xp I spoke to a guy who runs saws for a living and he sold me the saw. He tooled it up for me right there on the spot, shwoed me how to tune it, sharpen and tighten the chain, mixing oil, cleaning schedules etc. You dont get that at big box stores. and he wont forget me when I walk in with a problem with it. for hte $50 you will save at a big box store it is well worth getting advice and know how at a real saw shop.

Plus, the big box stores don't sell anything from the Husky XP line.. I think the biggest thing they sell is the 455 Rancher as far as Husky goes..

I'm sure your local saw shop would service it, but probably wouldn't get the loaner or any perks...

Jay

$399 is the going price for the 455...I've seen it for sale in several stores over the past year for that price.

I understand how you feel about responsibility...but I disagree its your responsibility if your brother-in-law breaks his father's saw...he's using it tohelp you out,. but he's using it. If the responsibility is yours then you use it.

Personally I would not buy a saw on credit. I only use credit as an absolute necessity...like an emergency car repair or something like that...all other purchases are cash, check or debit card (same as cash really)...if I don't have the money for something then I probably don't need it, or its a legitimate emergency. As much as I'd like a new chainsaw...no way I'm going into hock for one.

CowboyAndy said:
ikessky said:

I'd like to be able to go with the stihl, but like i mentioned cash is tight and i can put the husky on the lowes cc.
If you are not in hurry and you're putting it on a credit card anyway, why not just wait and apply for a different no interest card and then get the Stihl that you want?

CowboyAndy said:
2)what do you think of the saw overall?

It's a good saw.

No idea on the price.

EDIT - stick with your old saw till you got the skrilla for the one you want from a dealer you trust.

i was in your shoes this fall .do some research and save yourself alot of grief get a 290 STIHL farmboss instead and muffler mod it ,the box store huskys are polouns with orange jackets ,i know of three brand new 455's that had to go back the next day becuase they were leaking oil from the cases out on the garage floor and i know one that wouldnt start for anything once he got home ,tractor supply always has new reduced ones on the shelf becuase they had been fixed and have defects ,if you want a good european husky youll need to buy a $ prosaw model.for 40 bucks less the 290 will outperform a 455 (my dad owns one) and they are built better with better service support and more product options

I have the rancher 455 and bought it at Lowes 3 years ago and it works great. Starts without any problems and cuts like a champ.
I am totally satisfied and would buy it again in a heartbeat.
I do agree that I would not charge a second saw, if I could not pay for it I would save until I could then buy it.

Hurricane said:
I have the rancher 455 and bought it at Lowes 3 years ago and it works great. Starts without any problems and cuts like a champ.
I am totally satisfied and would buy it again in a heartbeat.
I do agree that I would not charge a second saw, if I could not pay for it I would save until I could then buy it.

And then when I was done saving I would go buy a 346xp!

Okay heres the scoop. I DID buy a 455 rancher, but ended up going to the local husky dealer. See I was talking to my brother in law friday afternoon and I was telling him about all the comments here about it, and he agreed with all of you about not charging it and not getting it from lowes. We ended up going 50/50 on it, and still went with it because our local dealer had it on sale for $359 with a free case. So, we split the cost and he told me that if i come into extra cash soon, i can buy the other half or he can stay owning half and use it when he needs to or when we are cutting my wood.

So we go out yesterday, the saw had been set up by the dealer, and we also double checked the tension. 2 min in, threw the chain. When it did, it f-ed up 3 of the links where they wont go back into the groove.

can individual links be fixed? think the dealer might just swap out the chain?

AOD said:
The 455 is a "meh" saw. It cuts decent and gets the job done. I really don't like the plastic crankcase and I don't like primers on saws either. For the money I would spend a bit more and get a 359, it will flat out destroy the 455 in every aspect, especially longevity.

I think the 290 is a "meh" saw too, although its a bit better made than the 455. It's 260 PRO or fail.
Judging by all your previous saw recommendations, I would almost guess you were a saw dealer! ;-P

Andy, I would bring the saw back to the dealer and make them look at it. Seems funny that it would throw a chain after 2 minutes when the saw is brand new.

You can peen or file the dinged up drive links back into shape and be good to go.

It tossed the chain because the chain was new and probably stretched far more than you had noticed and far faster than you had figured. Husqvarna's chain is actually rebadged Oregon, which tends to stretch a fair bit when new. Not that this is bad, because their chain is very good stuff, just something to be on the lookout for with a new loop.

Congrats on the purchase. It will do you well, notwithstanding AOD's critique. Not everybody needs a $600 saw to cut firewood. Heck, lots of folks are still cutting all their wood with 40 year old Homelite XL12s...which you can pick up in very good running condition for less than $100...

Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer. They suggested that I can easily file the burs off with a somewhat agressive file. They said if that doesnt do the trick they will swap out the chain for me.

UPDATE: I spent some time fliing the chain last night and tested it out. Cuts like a ***** ape! Im going out into the brush today to cut some smaller diameter trees for a guy I work with, but I may use it just to use it. Tomorrow will be the true test... going out to cut some 18-24" ash, maple, hickory and white birch. Saw seems to have great power, obviously way more than my 142.

UPDATE: We spend the day saturday cutting. Man, I love this saw. It was outperforming my father in laws stihl ms270. We used the stock chain all day, cut just as good at the end as it did early on. I also picked up a 2nd chain, a stihl brand non safety chain. i can only imagine how that will be. We cut alot of ash, and it went through it like butter. Then when we moved on to the maple and hickory it really shined. I dont regret buying it at all.

I own the 455 too. It gets the job done, I haven't had any serious problems with mine, but I do agree with most of the criticisms mentioned here, the plastic parts aren't so great (they can get damaged easily if you do throw a chain which has already happened to you) but the biggest issue is its poor power to weight ratio. Its a heavy saw, but you aren't getting the performance to justify that weight. But overall its a pretty decent value, and it is built better than the cheaper husky saws (which have even more plastic parts). I paid $325 for mine, brand new, from a dealer on eBay, and it came with 3 chains. Got an electric chain sharpener from harbor frieght for around $30 which works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.