Opinions on log splitter brands.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tractor Supply is taking $100 off on the Huskee Splitter until the end of October. I am seriously considering it. $999, sounds like a good deal.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Tractor Supply is taking $100 off on the Huskee Splitter until the end of October. I am seriously considering it. $999, sounds like a good deal.

I don't see how you can go wrong with the huskee 22 ton. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and it has been flawless until this year. It has split at least 50 full cords during this time, and it has failed to split a piece of wood about 10- 15 times going through those 50 plus cords.

This years problems are with that Briggs, carb/governor problems with surging. A thorough cleaning of the carb and fuel system solved that, maybe temporarily . I will probably replace the carb soon. The parts for the Briggs on mine are dirt cheap. A carb rebuild kit $16, a brand new carb. $34, a whole new engine $149. These prices were from Jacks small engine.

If you do get one there will be a sticker on the cylinder that states " for responsive service call 1-800 XXXXXX. That will be Speeco direct. Use them if you have any issues, don't through TSC, Speeco gets high marks for insuring the owners of their splitters are happy with them.
good luck with your choice,

i use the small brave ez split, have had it for 5 years now. i love it. doesnt take up much space in the garage. sips on fuel and splits anything i need done. pete

GolfandWoodNut said:
Backwoods Savage said:
About an hour ago I took my splitter to a neighbor's house as he has some nice red oak to split. I did some splitting for him last summer too. But as we were unhooking the splitter he asked how old. He guessed it was about 4 years old. Not close as it is somewhere around 20 years old. Still works like it did when new except we have to add some oil now and then to the motor and I did put on a new filter. Looks new; works as well as new. Little 20 ton and I do not worry in the least about cycle time. I'm not out to set any records; just want to get the wood split. It is fast enough on the cycle time that I don't even run the engine at full throttle.
Dennis, how often to change oil, filters, etc. with your amount of wood processing and years of splitting I would like to know. I heard some of the old splitters, especially the Tractor Supply ones were really difficult to change to oil, and they have improved upon that. I don't know if you really have to change oil every year.

Sorry I did not answer sooner as I had forgotten about this thread.

Hydraulic filter says every 50 hours and I generally do it pretty close to the 50 hour mark. I change the engine oil annually because it is basically used only the one time in the spring. If I do splitting for others or loan it out then I will change more often. If the oil looks dirty at all, change it. It is a bit messy to drain the oil but not extreme. Just need a wide pan and then a lot of wiping once the oil has drained.

Looked at some splitters today and have a few random thoughts.
Bomgarrs sells Speeco and rents out Iron and Oak (not sure what that means)
Speeco unit looks good but it is 1200$ so a little more that TSC (which we do not have around here)
Not impressed with the Craftsman which was on sale, 1350 for a 27 ton.

I have used the MTD 27 ton splitter for the past 2 years, run about 6 cords through it so far with very little issues. The only issues are the carb, they used one of those cheap carbs and the screw in the float bowl always gets clogged and the float always sticks on and gas spills out after not running it for a few weeks or months, I have learned to drain the gas and clean the carb when done to fix this issue. Other than that the 27 ton has helped split some pieces I thought would be impossible to split. I also had to suck the oil out of the measuring stick to change it, just had to buy a pump. Changed the oil filter, grabbed one from NAPA, also changed out the hydraulic oil, got that at TSC. Other than the issues mentioned it has run strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.