Opinions on Morso?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Hi folks.

Just curious what the consensus is on Morso stoves. We've had a Morso Owl installed, and we chose it mainly for its cleanliness (it is certified for use in smokeless zones) and its clean lines (we dislike overly fussy, latticed or noduled stoves, and nothing that looks mock-retro, so this limited our choice quite a bit).

I see very few Morso references here, and the only reference to my particular stove (other than my own posts) is some guy who clearly had some ulterior motive/hidden agenda - so I basically ignored his words.

So, who amongst us are the Morso owners? What have you got?

John

Jtc,

I've got a morso 3450 (see side picture), but looks like your'e in the UK (my native land) and I think I've seen that the moros stoves are a little different over there. However, I can say that I love the look of all morso stoves, and I'm very happy with the function and beauty of mine. I know there are a few other morso lovers here, so I'm sure they'll pipe up soon enough.

I have a Morso 7110 (believe it is called the Viking). Installed it in July. This is my first woodstove. Burned it three times so far and quite impressed. Will know more this weekend as the highs will be in the upper 50's / low 60's. Want to get it running good this weekend so I can insure that the paint is cured as I had the smoke detector go off last week at 6:20AM due to the paint curing. Don't need that happening again.

When I was looking for my stove I noticed that there were very few reviews on Morso in the review section.

jtcedinburgh said:
Hi folks.Just curious what the consensus is on Morso stoves.
Hi John, I loved my Morso 2b. We set it up in a small unheated greenhouse type addition to our home. This little stove worked well and was rather cute. Back then I was a stove retailer and had a showroom full of stoves to choose from.

Morso is world renown for their high quality castings and beautiful enamel exterior. In fact, back in the day I had the privilege of visiting their enameling plant, seeing all those cute lil Morso all lined up was a joy to behold for a stove nut like myself. Nice clean plant, very zen like.

You did good… enjoy your stove!

I lobbied a little for the Morso, they have a loyal following and good history. But my SO is more of a traditionalist and doesn't like the somewhat stark look of the stove in an older home.

Out of interest, what's an 'older home' in your neck of the woods? Our home was built in 1900 (so very late Victorian) and we'd neither consider it particularly old but certainly not 'modern'...

Anyway, little Owl looks great in our room... :D

Well I have to chuckle about that. When I lived in New England, old was considered much before the 1900's. I had a couple friends that lived in houses that were pre-revolutionary war vintage. Out west, they consider pre 1930 an antique. Our house was built in 1924, but that doesn't seem to matter. My wife prefers Victorean even it the house isn't. Her mother was brought up Victorean and it seems that era had decided what was proper for all of us regardless of context.

I love my 2110! The Morsos are less common because they're roughly 20% more expensive than an equivalent Jotul model (at least out here they are), and they seem to draw from the same potential customer base. But put the two side by side and methinks you'll prefer the quality of the Morso.

Kevin said:
I have a Morso 7110 (believe it is called the Viking). Installed it in July. This is my first woodstove. Burned it three times so far and quite impressed. Will know more this weekend as the highs will be in the upper 50's / low 60's.
Kevin, I'm very interested to hear your report on the 7110, I was seriously looking at that model too, but got a deal on the 2110 that I couldn't refuse.

Couldnt be happier with mine.

precaud, Gonna try it some more this weekend. Looking forward to playing with the air control to get the secondary burn into action. I think I have left it too far open to allow the secondary burn to kick in.

Purchased a Panther (2110) this summer, so far this stove rocks. Great heat out of a small amount of wood, good secondary burn (looks so cool) and excelent FEEL.

The fit and finish are second to none. Good luck with your stove.

Last night, I made a good fire to get the paint all cured so I don’t have to worry about any smoking. I definately did that. Stove peak at 700-750. I never really saw the secondary burn going except when I turned the air all the way down. But at that point there was no flame on the wood, so I think that was too low. Only did it for a few minutes.

I found that the right mix of air was at 10-20%. I put two logs on before bed, wasn’t trying for an overnight burn, just checking to see what duration I would get. I happen to wake up at 1:15 and I ran out to check the stove and there was still enough coals to reloaded if desired. Surface temp was still 200. So I go ~5 hours out of those two logs. They were only 12” or so. My firebox isn’t that huge but I could have fit two more. If I fill it and use larger size pieces, I feel good about being able to get an overnight burn.

jtcedinburgh said:
Kevin, what outdoor temps are you getting in NY right now? Just curious...

Kevin can answer of course, but what the heck...I live just down the road from Kevin....

The Saturday had temps as low as 38 at my house. So I had the stove running all day on Saturday. Got darned hot in the house when the outside temps got to 60 or so.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.